Is This Okay As A Treat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Is This Okay As A Treat?

-1 lb raw goat milk
-2 lb goat yogurt
-2 dozen brown eggs (raw yolk, slightly cooked white)

Mixed together as a meal sometime. Need to get the okay from some of you before I try that, I know it could cause diarrhea BUT it would be a really cheap meal which I kinda need to do right now. Also this isn't one of the balanced meals. There are two meals a week that are just plain meat so this would be substituded as one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 01:11 PM
Tom Cat

Re: Is This Okay As A Treat?

I wouldn't offer it as I don't see the benefits to it. I also think you'd have a lot of stomach upset.

Leslie
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

http://www.crohns.net/Miva/education/ab ... milk.shtml

Quote:
Easier digestion allows the lactose to pass through the intestines more rapidly, not giving it time to ferment or cause an osmotic imbalance.
Goat's milk also contains 7% less lactose than cow milk.
Additionally, most lactose intolerant people have found that they can tolerate goat's milk and goat milk products.
They got it tonight after lots of okays from another forum. Everyone LOVED it, well the 2 that I forgot hated eggs didn't but that's just because of my poor memory.

So the next few days I'll see what the litterbox thinks of it. If its fine than I hope to do it every two weeks or so.

So the benifits (I think) are:

-a rich and differant source of calcium
-the probiotics in the yogurt
-a new source of protein (and also very high protein)
-they LOVE it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 01:32 AM
Banned

Hmmm. I know you've already fed this, but I would lean towards Jack&Harley's answer. Yogurt, milk and eggs just isn't a meal I would offer my cats.

Why do the other folks think it's ok/good? I'm always open to learning!!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 01:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryfriends251
So the benifits (I think) are:

-a rich and differant source of calcium
-the probiotics in the yogurt
-a new source of protein (and also very high protein)
-they LOVE it
I don't see any benefits. Healthy cats do not need probiotics. If they are sick/on antibiotics, provide probios if necessary from a dairy-free source, as cats are largely lactose intolerant. Goat's milk is less likely to cause a problem, but they don't need it. And too much egg WILL cause the runs.

This is certainly far from a balanced diet, and I wouldn't feed it even occasionally. If you can't afford to feed raw (though I get most of mine for free), go with canned instead. I wouldn't rely on this to any degree at all.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 08:12 PM
Tom Cat

It is another source of calcium and protein however it isn't natural. And by feeding raw I would assume you are going for natural. If its variety you are looking for do it in meats not with dairy. It doesn't have to be frequent variety just variety.

Like over the weekend I picked up duck wings for the second time, the boys had them about 2 months ago for their bone in meals. They are actually really inexpensive around here and add some great variety to their normal chicken bone in meals. I couldn't afford duck muscle meat.

Leslie
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack&Harley
Like over the weekend I picked up duck wings for the second time, the boys had them about 2 months ago for their bone in meals. They are actually really inexpensive around here and add some great variety to their normal chicken bone in meals. I couldn't afford duck muscle meat.
?? Huh? What do you think is in duck wings? All the meat is "muscle meat." It's muscle, fat, bone, tendons, etc.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Tom Cat

There is very little meat on the duck wings. I'm saying it helps variety on bone in meals but its not like there is enough meat on the wings to pull off and add to none bone in meals--I'd need to buy thighs or a whole duck for that.

Leslie
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 04:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack&Harley
There is very little meat on the duck wings. I'm saying it helps variety on bone in meals but its not like there is enough meat on the wings to pull off and add to none bone in meals--I'd need to buy thighs or a whole duck for that.
Well, sure. But why would you pull the meat off? Just let the cat do that. Most cats won't eat all the bone in a duck anyway. If you feel you need to add more meat, just toss in a little beef or something.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 12:25 AM
Banned

LOL. Jack&Harley - your example was perfectly plain to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page