What is your typical weekly menu?? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

What is your typical weekly menu??

My cat was diagnosed with struvite crystals about one and a half weeks ago. He is on a dissolution diet now and the vet wants to put him on a s/o diet in 4-6 weeks.

I am not really wanting to do that...My dog is 100% raw fed and I am wanting to switch my cat as well. I was using a premix with my dog, but then we moved to different city and I couldnt find anything affordable...so I tried to do it myself and she either had white poop or diarreaha...she is only 12.5 lbs and I couldnt get the bone ratio right. So now she gets a ground chicken/bone mix and I add organs, heart and a product called missing link.

Now for my cat I am researching how to do this. How often do you feed mice? I understand they are the best full meal?? I have called all over my city to find some and they vary from 2.00 to 4.00 each (frozen for the large mice)

So I am wondering what do you feed your cat and what does a typical weekly menu look like?

Oh and my cat is 12.5 lbs too LOL...the vet says he needs to lose some weight so how much food would he eat per day?? My dog eats 6-8 oz a day...but she is a Jack Russell and burns calories just by breathing LOL

My Furbabies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Banned

Re: What is your typical weekly menu??

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty073
Now for my cat I am researching how to do this. How often do you feed mice? I understand they are the best full meal?? I have called all over my city to find some and they vary from 2.00 to 4.00 each (frozen for the large mice)
Where do you live? If in the US:

http://www.americanrodent.com/mice.html

Large mice currently .52 each (and sometimes there are sales); free shipping to many areas w/ $100 purchase.
Quote:
So I am wondering what do you feed your cat and what does a typical weekly menu look like? Oh and my cat is 12.5 lbs too LOL...the vet says he needs to lose some weight so how much food would he eat per day??
As far as amount -- here is a calculator:

http://www.hare-today.com/feed.php

Scroll down and input DESIRED weight and calculate at 2%. If you want him to weigh 11#, he should get 3.5 oz/day (divided into 2 meals usually).

Here is what my (adult) cats have eaten in the past 5 days:

SUN:
am-1 mouse each.
pm-venison steak w/ a little beef kidney

MON:
am-bone-in cornish game hen, 3 oz each.
pm-venison steak w/ a little beef liver

TUES:
am-1 mouse each.
pm-boneless pork

WED:
am-beef chunk w/ a little beef liver.
pm-swiss steak

THURS:
am-bone-in cornish game hen, 3 oz each.
pm-boneless pork

I often have unusual items b/c I get so much stuff for free from my Craigslist and freecycle ads--the Swiss steak is an example of that. I wouldn't BUY that, b/c it's expensive and beaten to death to "tenderize" it, which cats don't need, but hey, it was free. Last week they had filet mignon medallions. They were in high cotton.

You don't HAVE to feed mice, but now that I've managed to get over that hump, I like doing it b/c it's easy, I know they're getting plenty of what they need, and they love them.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 01:52 PM
Senior Cat

Menu for month of december:

1- Beef w/ kidney
2 - Turkey Breast
3- Chicken Drumsticks w/ liver
4- Giblets w/ kidney
5- Pork *clover, annie need ground turkey
6 - Chicken Necks w/ liver
7- Turkey Drumsticks w/ kidney
8 - Eggs w/ ? boneless meat
9 - Chicken Drumsticks w/ liver
10 - Giblets w/ kidney
11- Pork *clover, annie need beef
12 - Chicken Necks w/ liver
13 - Raw goat milk/yogurt BUT mostly a boneless meat w/ kidney
14 - Turkey
15 - Chicken Drumsticks w/ liver
16 - Beef w/ kidney
17 - Pork
18 - Chicken Drumsticks w/ liver
19 - Pork w/ kidney *clover, annie need beef
20 - Eggs w/ ? boneless meat
21 - Chicken necks w/ liver
22 - Turkey w/ kidney
23 - Beef
24 - Chicken Drumsticks w/ liver
25 - Giblets w/ kidney
26 - Pork *Clover, Annie need lamb
27 - Chicken Necks w/ liver
28 - treat = raw goat milk, yogurt BUT mostly boneless meat w/ kidney
29 - Beef
30 - Chicken Drumsticks w/ liver
31 - Giblets w/ kidney
-----------------------------------
I balance everything out over a three day time period which is why it doesn't really work to say what I do just for a week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks

I am in BC, Canada

I dont mind feeding mice...as long as I can find them. We also have quail running all over our property...so That might be an option too . If cats eat mice they catch them selves can you cat mice and give them to them? I just dont think buying them will be an option for us.

And as for feeding bone some meals and not others...dont the cats get the runs?? My dog does and I had a heck of a time getting the ratio right, she likes eating chicken necks and backs but if I break them into small enough pieces to add to each meal she just eats around it

My Furbabies

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 03:44 PM
Banned

Cats have a fairly low bone requirement (closer to 5% than 10%), but yeah, some cats need a little more. Generally you start w/ slightly more bone-heavy meals, feeding one protein ONLY, until the cat is eating that well. Most people start w/ chicken (or cornish game hen, which is just very small chickens -- the bones are easier for cats to deal with). Feed nothing but bone-in CGH for a week or 2, and if all goes well, THEN you start adding variety, feeding less bone, etc. Experiment and check the litterbox. My cats haven't had anything but perfectly formed once-a-day poops since they were 100% on prey model/whole prey raw, and I don't feed bone every meal, nor would I want to.

I'm sure you can find mice up there cheaper than $2-4. People have reptiles in Canada, too.

If the cats catch mice in your house, that's fine, but (1) make darn sure you never put out poison for the mice b/c what they eat, the cat eats and (2) there is some risk of internal parasites w/ wild mice.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

My cat probably wont catch an mouse LOL and I never thought about the rat poison issue...we live on an orchard with 3 other houses and I cant gaurentee what others are doing...so we wont try that . I will have look and see about online...although from what I have seen so far the mice are cheap its the shipping and keeping frozen that is expensive . Even to buy meat here is expensive, I have also joined a dog forum and alot of people are posting that they can meat for .50-$1.00 a pound...wont happen here...we are lucky to get ground beef for under $2.00 a pound, sometimes if we are lucky we can get chicken or pork for around $3.50 kg but not often .

My Furbabies

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Banned

I get most of my meat for free by posting on Craigslist and freecycle in my area. I'm about to go pickup an entire chest freezer full of venison --it's perfectly good but these people keep killing deer even though they obviously aren't eating it all ( ) so I'm keeping it out of the landfill. It will feed my 3 dogs and 3 cats for MONTHS! You just have to be creative.

B/c of this, I have no problem buying mice (although they are very cheap at americanrodent.com, I would happily spend more). Helps if most of what you feed is free!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 08:31 PM
Banned

This is what I am currently feeding to five cats every week:

Breakfast: About 8.5ozs of chicken or beef heart, beef round, or pork loin.

Lunch: Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday are bone-in meals of about 12oz of chicken
wings, two and a half quail, 13oz of chicken backs, or 16oz of chicken necks.

Tuesday and Friday are liver days 4.5ozs of liver and 4.5oz of chicken breast meat.

Thursday and Sunday are organ days 4.5ozs of kidney and 4.5oz of chicken breast meat.

Dinner: About 9ozs of gizzards, a turkey drumstick or chicken leg quarter.

Once a week, they share a single 3.75oz can of sardines, and every couple of weeks, they get a whole mouse apiece or share a couple dozen live crickets and/or an egg or two.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 11:05 PM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Thanks

I am in BC, Canada

I dont mind feeding mice...as long as I can find them. We also have quail running all over our property...so That might be an option too . If cats eat mice they catch them selves can you cat mice and give them to them? I just dont think buying them will be an option for us.

And as for feeding bone some meals and not others...dont the cats get the runs?? My dog does and I had a heck of a time getting the ratio right, she likes eating chicken necks and backs but if I break them into small enough pieces to add to each meal she just eats around it
Hey nieghbor....well kinda. I live in the USA but right across from BC.

Mine do really good with bone only ever third day. But all cats are differant so you don't know for sure what yours will be like. Also with lots of cats it is just easier to give them a whole chicken neck/drumstick vs balanced meals every day.

I've noticed that mine HATE having the same meat two days in a row. So I always try to make sure that they get a differant thing each day; they have me trained pretty well now. Its sometimes hard to work around clover and annie as they are both allergic to pork and their substitute meal also can not be the same thing as the day before/after. What we do for our cats
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 10:15 AM
Cat

Quote:
My dog is 100% raw fed and I am wanting to switch my cat as well. I was using a premix with my dog, but then we moved to different city and I couldnt find anything affordable...so I tried to do it myself and she either had white poop or diarreaha...she is only 12.5 lbs and I couldnt get the bone ratio right. So now she gets a ground chicken/bone mix and I add organs, heart and a product called missing link.
I hope you don't mind me commenting on your dog's raw diet... canine nutrition is sort of a passion of mine and all of my dogs are raw fed.

You are taking a lot of the benefit out of raw by grinding the food. What were you feeding before you started feeding ground raw?

My dogs typically are fed bone-in chicken in the morning and some sort of boneless (or semi-boneless) red meat (pork, beef, lamb, venison, etc.). They are large dogs... but really it's no different.. the portions would just be scaled down for your dog. Instead of feeding a chicken leg quarter or two like I do with my big dogs, you might just feed a chicken wing. Since wings have a high bone content you'll want to make sure the evening meal is boneless. Throw in some organs every once in awhile.

It's not an exact science... the 80/10/10 formula is more of a guideline. Some dogs need more meat.. others need more bone. Don't stress too much about white poop or loose stool. It'll even out, and you'll figure out what works best for your dog.

If I were you, I'd throw out the Missing Link. IMO, it's a pretty worthless product with lots of potential allergens and very few beneficial ingredients. To add Omega 3, pick up some salmon oil capsules (the flax free kind). The doseage is 1000mg per 20 lbs... so for your dog just feed every other day or so. If you are feeding mostly grassfed meat, there is no need to supplement anything (including Omega3).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page