Losing Weight - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Losing Weight

Since switching Macy and Scooter Bug to the raw diet, they have lost weight...and they don't need to be losing weight. Im confused!!

Do they need more fat in their diet or something?

This is what I had been giving her. Mixed a weeks worth of feed and separated it out for each day. When she started to drop weight I switched for the 4.48 oz to 5oz.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
4% is 4.48 oz total per day in these proportions:
3.57 oz muscle meat
.45 oz bone
.23 oz liver
.23 oz other secreting organ

Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 08:10 PM
Tom Cat

Re: Losing Weight

I did see weight loss but then you could see obvious muscle gain. How long were they on 4.48 and how long have they been getting 5 oz?

Also what muscle meat have you been using?

Leslie
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 08:21 PM
Banned

How much do your cats weigh, individually? And, I second Leslie's query - would you mind giving a week's worth of menu items?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Well the menu items have changed a bit since we have had deer available to us...

Macy was on a mix of beef liver/kidney. Beef/chicken and chicken bone. We also put pork in a few times but it spoiled to quickly so we quit with the pork.

Now they are on a beef/chicken/deer with chicken bone, deer kidney and beef liver.

Macy has been on the 4.48 oz for a month then switched to 5oz and she's been on that for about 1.5-2wks.

Scooter Bug weighs 5lbs...we just recently switched him to the raw diet, only been on it a week.
Macy is about 8lbs.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteghost
...Macy was on a mix of beef liver/kidney. Beef/chicken and chicken bone. We also put pork in a few times but it spoiled to quickly so we quit with the pork.

Now they are on a beef/chicken/deer with chicken bone, deer kidney and beef liver.
I'm sorry, I don't quite understand. Precisely how are you preparing and serving these items?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Each day's worth of items is multiplied by 7 to get a total for each week, we mix it all up and divide it out using the scales and freeze only a days worth of food in each container.

For the meats we divided the total by how many we were using that week so the past time it was 3 since there's beef/chicken/deer. However Im going to be dropping one of those next time and just use two types.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 08:50 PM
Tom Cat

Jack weighs almost 10 lbs and Harley about 9.5 and they maintain on 4 oz, Jack gets alittle more than that about 4.2 a day usually.

With the chicken are you feeding skin and all?

I might try and add some pork d/t a slightly higher fat content. I think you have to watch your cuts of meat in general. I think as humans we tend to look for cuts of meat that are low in fat etc, but for the cats that isn't really an issue. With the venison, generally it is pretty low in fat, being wild they are eating what is available and getting their exercise--not like a animal bred to be eaten.

But it seems as though your cats have high metabolism compared to my boys--who are about 2 and 3 years old.

Scooter is a kitten I believe (sorry my mind is a little foggy, I have pneumonia and am on meds) so I'd feed as much as he'll eat. No reason not to just because its raw.

Leslie
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Banned

So you're not grinding. Ok, good. Are you feeding once a day, or more often? Smaller meals more often is better, I feed three times a day, but some folks only feed two.

What Leslie said about fatty cuts. Cats need a higher fat content than we do. Chicken has more fat, especially the skin, than most of the other meats. Oh, and kittens - I fed my kittens twice (the percentage) I was feeding the adults.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Yes Scooter is a kitten. 5.5months actually!

I will have to check with my mom on the skin/meat of the chicken. I believe she cuts both up. She does the cutting with the chicken and bags it up for me...Me and knives do not mix.

I'll find out from her tomorrow.

Thanks!!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy
So you're not grinding. Ok, good. Are you feeding once a day, or more often? Smaller meals more often is better, I feed three times a day, but some folks only feed two.

What Leslie said about fatty cuts. Cats need a higher fat content than we do. Chicken has more fat, especially the skin, than most of the other meats. Oh, and kittens - I fed my kittens twice (the percentage) I was feeding the adults.

Nope no grinding.

I feed 2x a day. If I could feed 3 I would but due to time restraints I can't so 2 has to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page