Raw diet vs. today's economy - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Raw diet vs. today's economy

How does feeding raw compare price-wise with a high-end dry/wet diet?

I'd be interested in feeding raw a couple times a week- because that's as much as I could afford. Is that okay for cat's systems?

It should be said that these are not just my cats, but my mom's as well. She takes care of them while I'm away at college 9mos of the year, and she would not be enthused with doing 100% raw, but I could possibly convince her to offer it a couple times a week.

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life." -Anonymous

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 05:40 PM
Senior Cat

Re: Raw diet vs. today's economy

It depends a lot on where you live for the price of buying meat. Also it makes a differance if you can get free meat (off of craigslist etc).

It takes $10 a day for my 20 cats. However they are barn cats and it has stayed below freezing for about a week now. I think if they were house cats they'd be needing to eat half the amount they have to now to keep up body wieght. I do not get any free meat, I will once I can get a freezer of my own
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 05:47 PM
Tom Cat

Its on average $0.50-1.50 per day to feed one cat. I can feed my four kitties for about $1.15 per day. Comparing to regular Innova feeding a 13oz can from a bulk buy case will cost around $0.65 to feed one cat a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Cool Cat

MUCH cheaper than canned. I spent a little under four dollars for 11 or 12 meals of chicken thigh. Obviously chicken is the cheapest meat but it's all still quite cheap compared to good wet food.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks for all the replies guys.

At this point, the fact is that my mom will probably not switch to all raw. Maybe when she retires- she just can't warrant the time/complication of learning something new (yes yes, I know it can be easy and fast, but this is my mother, trust me.). Our cats are healthy on the dry/wet we have them on now. I might be able to convince her to do some raw chicken necks/legs, etc. a couple times a week.

Will that be okay for the kitties systems?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 11:03 AM
Banned

A little is better than none, for sure! Just make sure that the rest of the diet is high-quality canned.

I get a lot of my meat for free, thanks to the ads I place on freecycle, Craigslist, etc. I often get venison, which is great meat (better than beef unless it's grass fed). B/c of the free stuff I get, I feed 3 dogs (2 of whom are 55#) and 3 cats for around $150 a month. And I order mice and other special stuff for the cats (not absolutely essential), which drives up my total.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I had never even heard of free meat until I came here- the world of feeding raw is generally new to me.

Do you have to pay particular attention to where you get the raw meat? Or would the occasional chicken wing/neck from costco be fine? I don't think my mom would be keen on giving more expensive beef or pork to the cats.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 10:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by imissmycats
Do you have to pay particular attention to where you get the raw meat? Or would the occasional chicken wing/neck from costco be fine? I don't think my mom would be keen on giving more expensive beef or pork to the cats.
You have to watch out for enhanced meat. This is most common in chicken and pork, and you'll see it more often in stuff that's sold frozen versus stuff sold "fresh." "Enhanced" means that broth (i.e., SALT) has been added to make it more flavorful for salt-addicted Americans. If it says "broth added," "enhanced" with anything, or has more than 80 mg per serving (this will be on the label), DO NOT feed it to animals. The salt is no better for them than for us and can make them sick (diarrhea, vomiting, etc.). Many problems that newbie rawfeeders report can be traced back to enhanced meat.

One often inexpensive source of meat is Asian markets. Look for one in your area.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

So you don't have to worry about salmonella or other bacteria/microbes in uncooked meat? As in, if it happens to be in the meat you give your cat, does it not affect them like it does us? (as so many places worry about undercooked meat)

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 10:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by imissmycats
So you don't have to worry about salmonella or other bacteria/microbes in uncooked meat? As in, if it happens to be in the meat you give your cat, does it not affect them like it does us? (as so many places worry about undercooked meat).
Well, you're not a cat. Cats are SUPPOSED to eat raw meat. So they have strong stomach acid and a very short GI tract in order to deal with bacteria, etc. More here:

http://rawfed.com/myths/bacteria.html

http://www.rawfedcats.org/carnivores.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page