Why are people so against meat from craigslist? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Why are people so against meat from craigslist?

I mentioned on a differant forum that I hope to be able to get free meat off of places like craigslist once I get a chest freezer. I don't know why, but they say its really dangerous? Personally, I want to get free meat, you CAN tell if meat has been messed with the way butcher's wrap it here. You could tell if someone had opened it before because of the paper layer which closes kinda like an envelope...

It could be unsafe because someone could poisen the meat (however you could tell) and that's about it. That's the only reason they say to not do it.

When posting ads asking for free (or cheap) meat do you even say it is for your pets? Some people might poisen the meat if you say it is for cats (though how can you hate cats) or if you say its for dogs (if they hate dogs, crazy people).

What do you all think of that theory? I know most of you get free meat from craigslist, freecycle, etc and I don't think anyone here has ever has gotten bad meat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 04:09 PM
Cat Addict

Re: Why are people so against meat from craigslist?

I don't know.

Cops have Philip Markoff, suspected 'Craigslist Killer' of model Julissa Brisman, in custody

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crim ... z0ZhRQxLFK

Lawsuit accuses craigslist of promoting prostitution
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/03/05/cra ... index.html

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 04:19 PM
Banned

Heck, there are like 14,000 people on the rawfeeding yahoo group and most of us get free meat regularly. I've never had anything resembling a problem -- just very nice people eager to help. It's pretty much the only way to GET venison (unless you kill the deer yourself-not an option), since it's illegal to sell it, and venison is awesome for my dogs esp but the cats love it, too.

I'm all about reduce/reuse/recycle. In addition to helping me feed my critters inexpensively, I keep a lot of meat out of the landfill. IMO it's a beautiful thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 06:18 PM
Senior Cat

We use free meat all the time. It's a comfort level, a person choice.

I like free stuff, because it means I can feed variety and whatnot! Also, I spend MAYBE $20/mth on all the critters combined (5 cats, two chis).

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 09:12 PM
Banned

I won't use products with a history I can't confirm, but it's not about poisoning possibilities (in fact, the thought never crossed my mind).

For me, it's about the nutritional content, since my sole reason for feeding raw is to provide my cats with the healthiest foods I can.

There are several vitamins known to be sensitive to light, oxidation, and freezing; with the rate of decay varying with the conditions. There are also indications that other nutrients, including the amino acid Taurine, are sensitive to freezing (among other things). In every case, a defrost and refreeze seriously exacerbates the decay.

Since it's not possible to determine how many times or to what extent craigs-list-sourced products have been frozen, thawed, and re-frozen, I choose not to use them.

It's totally a comfort-level choice.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy
There are several vitamins known to be sensitive to light, oxidation, and freezing; with the rate of decay varying with the conditions. There are also indications that other nutrients, including the amino acid Taurine, are sensitive to freezing (among other things). In every case, a defrost and refreeze seriously exacerbates the decay.
There is no evidence that whatever small reduction in nutrients there is (and it IS small--even the USDA website says so) will be in any way harmful. Not wanting to get into it w/ you, Auntie Crazy--just think it's important to offer the non-alarmist view of things for those reading this thread.

Feeding raw meat that has been frozen even for many years is still going to be about 500% better than feeding ANY commercial pet food. And since most of us mix and match (for instance, my old, free-but-still-perfectly-good meat rotates with mice, and with grass-fed beef and free-range chicken from Whole Foods), it's even BETTER than that.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 08:16 PM
Banned

Hoofmaiden, a simple acknowledgment that nutrients degrade when exposed to whatever it is that causes them to degrade is hardly an "alarmist" statement.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 11:23 PM
Premier Cat

I think the peeps who are saying Craig's List is dangerous are probably just fearful of you meeting with strangers. If you could meet in a public place and/or bring another friend (preferably male) then meeting anyone should be just fine. Also, take the time to speak with them a bit about their meat, how it was kept, any defrosts/refreezes and such, why they are getting rid of it...most people at this time of year, are simply making room in their freezers for their fresh wildlife meat from successful hunts or from Fall butcherings of livestock. I would think that if you rotate the meat with fresher meat, the animals should do just fine with it.
If you get a bad feeling and don't feel comfortable when you meet with them, I would accept the meat (not create an awkward refusal confrontation) and then throw it away in the nearest dumpster or take it home and burn/bury it.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Banned

The problems I've heard of re: Craigslist all involved the erotic section. So I'm just not too worried about it, honestly. And you really can't ask someone to haul 50 pounds of meat to meet you in a neutral location. After all, it's YOU who wants the meat. They're happy to get rid of it, but if you add WORK to the whole thing, they may not bother.

I think most of us have pretty good radar -- If I felt funny about going into someone's house and something didn't seem right, I would get in my car and leave. I've never felt funny about anyone, and many folks (hunters mostly) have kept my name and email, passed it on to their friends, etc. Taking someone else w/ you is a good precaution if you are concerned, of course.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

My dad with most likely go with me to get the meat. The town I live in is small, 95% dutch - 1/4 it seems I am related too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page