Cool Cat

Substitute for bone

What can be used in place of bone? thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Senior Cat

Re: Substitute for bone

Egg shells or actual bone meal powder I think could both be used. I don't know how much.

What kind of bones have you tried? Clover was horrible to try get to eat bone. Even smashed chicken ribs she'd eat all around...then one day she decided she LOVED to eat bone
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Chicken...they both like it...but we can only get it when it's on sale, any other time its very expensive. I am hoping I can use something in place of it while the chicken isn't on sale... Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 09:51 AM
Banned

Chicken is actually one of the less expensive meats. ?? How much are you paying? Are you getting whole chickens and cutting them up or pre-cut pieces? Pre-cut is more expensive AND more likely to be enhanced--getting whole chickens is a better idea overall.

I much prefer cornish game hen or quail over chicken for cats -- a cat isn't gonna be able to take down a chicken, so the bones are a bit big for them. They CAN eat some of the bones (rib/wing-tip, etc.) but a lot won't be consumed.

I recently found an Asian/Mexican grocery in my area. It's a bit out of the way, but fine for a once-a-month trip. I found quail - 6 processed quail for $6! When I give quail, each cat gets 1/2 (cut down the long way), at .50 a meal!

I would very much advise against using a "bone substitute." Not only do you risk unbalancing things, but cats NEED to chew through bone for dental health. Keep in mind that cats have a lower bone requirement than dogs do -- Most do best on 5% bone, 10% at the absolute outside. That is 1/2 quail or 1/4 cornish game hen 2-3 meals a week, tops. NOT much.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 10:08 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief

If you have the freezer space, you should be able to order a bulk box of chicken necks (or necks and backs) from the meat dept at your local grocery. I can't get just necks from mine, but I can order a 40-45 lb box of necks and backs for around $25. The cats can crunch the necks, but the backs are generally too big-boned for them. I either grind the backs for the cats or feed them whole to the dogs.

Laurie
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Buying the chicken meat is not the problem. Buying the meat that comes with the bone is. It's approx. $1.50 to $1.79 per pound when it's not on sale; Im not sure how much comes in a package... And I have two kittys on the RAW diet. We hit the chicken bones a few times and the cats eat it just fine. It just seems like we go through it quickly...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 10:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteghost
Buying the chicken meat is not the problem. Buying the meat that comes with the bone is. It's approx. $1.50 to $1.79 per pound when it's not on sale; Im not sure how much comes in a package...
I'm confused -- are you saying that you pay LESS for boneless chicken than for bone-in? I have never seen that. Usually boneless is much more expensive. I never buy it -- I feed other boneless meat (usually beef and venison I get for free on Craigslist scores).

If you're buying already cut-up chicken (breasts, legs, etc.), that's going to be more expensive than getting WHOLE chickens and cutting them up yourself. I pay $1.80 a pound for bone-in whole chickens, but I get organic, free-range chicken! For the regular chicken you should pay MUCH less than that for whole chickens.

That said, there is going to be much bone in chicken that cats simply can't eat. So it won't be consumed. That's fine -- they don't need much. But I find that getting quail or Cornish hen is more cost-effective b/c they eat EVERYTHING. Again, since they only need 5-10% of their total diet (fed over time) as bone, if you give bone-in processed chicken/CGH/quail 3-4 meals a week, that's all the bone you need to feed. My adult cats get 1/6 of a CGH in a meal, or 1/2 smallish quail.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 01:35 AM
Jr. Cat

Do Not feed bone subtitute!!!!! I tryed and my cat got the runs and a vet visit, very spendy!! Buy hole chicken and proses or buy in bulk it will be better and cheper in the long run!!

Wizzel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page