First Day on Raw... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

First Day on Raw...

Well, today I finally made it down to Chinatown to get some cheap meats for Mak. I knew transitioning to raw wouldn't be a problem for him... There were some clues that he LOVES meat, such as when he pulled the plastic wrapping of the beef roast out of the garbage so he could lick the juice off of it, or when he stole the heart and liver of the christmas turkey off the counter to devour it.

We journeyed down and I got...

4 whole chicken for $10
1 pork liver for $2
1 pork heart for $2
8 whole quail for $7.50 (28 oz... so if I fed him only this it's $7.50 for a weeks' work of meat! That's a little over a dollar a day for a "special" meat!!!)

I also know they sell chicken heart in packs of 10 (I think kidney too...) but they didn't have them today. Will pick some up later.

It's not dinner time yet so I didn't want to give him his full meal, but I unwrapped the liver and cut a little piece off for him. He was rubbing my legs and has his front paws on the counter meowing at me as soon as I took it out, so he loved the smell (ew... not sure how. Does liver ever stink!) and as soon as I put it on the plate he was licking it and eventually was chomping away. I think his lack of jaw strength is the only thing preventing him from really ripping into it.

He was meowing at me for more once he finished the liver. I'm about to butcher the chickens and package everything into meals/day for easy defrosting.

I'm so happy Apparently doing the "slow but steady" transitioning route isn't necessary for Mak! He loves meat waaay more than he liked canned food (which he only begrudgingly ate).

Oh! I had a question amidst all this cheering. I know humans can OD on vitamin A from liver, but is this a concern for cats? How much liver is safe to eat at one time?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If anyone asks, I'm studying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 09:56 PM
Jr. Cat

Re: First Day on Raw...

Wow, you got alot for your money.

I tried my cat with raw meat today and she was the same even though she's usually a very picky eater and she had cat food in her bowl! The one thing I don't understand though is that people say to freeze meat and then defrost when you need it but then they also say it should be given to the kitties fresh and that freezing reduces the taurine levels. :S

Good question about the vit A, it never even crossed my mind! I worked out that just one meal was going to be liver but I'm sure someone else can help you more. *listens in*
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 10:09 PM
Cool Cat

Wow, that's cheap, lucky!! and such an easy transition for you too, I still have to make holes in Willie's meat to insert tiny pieces of organ because he doesn't like it

As far as Vitamin A goes, yes they can OD on it but it takes quite a bit of liver to do it. Somewhere on here Chris made a post which approximated how much liver they would have to eat to OD and it is a large amount. So if you stick to the 5% you have nothing to worry about, making a mistake and feeding a bit too much won't result in anything more than perhaps diarrhea, so long as you don't chronically overfeed it you should be good.

Freezing does reduce taurine some but not enough for there to be anything to worry about. Just don't feed ALL freezer burned meat, using freezer burned meat as some of the diet is fine as long as newer meat is also fed. That is also why variety is important. Different meats have higher or lower contents of taurine so feeding lots of meats helps to ensure enough nutrients are being fed. Remember feeding dark meat, like chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts, will provide more taurine. I believe when people are talking about fresh they mean more along the lines of it hasn't been sitting out for a long time and has been handled properly so that is doesn't spoil (which is why getting food made for human consumption is a good idea, there are more regulations on handling).

Good luck to the both of you during your transitions!! Keep us updated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I am such a proud kitty mama. I gave Mak half a quail for dinner today. I gave it to him whole to see what he could do with it but it was a little too much for him. He kept on licking it but eventually came crying to me for help. I cut it up for him in bite-sized pieces and he happy munched them down. Hearing the crack of bone was such a great sound to hear!

I packaged up all the meat I had in baggies for each day... measured out all the meat and organs, divided it by week, then divided that up into days. I can't believe how little it is! I spent $25 on 6 weeks worth of food! Can't believe how cheap it is! I have pictures of my set up - there was meat everywhere in my tiny kitchen, but it took about 2 hours total, butchering, weighing and packaging for 6 weeks. From now on it's just defrost and give it to kitty - easy as pie.

Actually... while I'm here I should get you guys to check my math. Better to find out I made a mistake earlier than later.

Mak's optimal weight is 13lbs. According to data Hare Today gave me, I think this means:

0.26 Lbs. (118 grams) Per Day.
0.13 Lbs. (59 grams) Per Meal.
1.82 Lbs per week (845.5 grams)

spread over 7 days

80% meat - 1.5 lbs (676.5 grams) per week
<10% bone - <0.19 lbs (84.55 grams) per week
5% liver - 0.091 lbs (42.28 grams) per week
5% secreting organ - 0.091 lbs (42.28 grams) per week (mostly kidney)

Any thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 04:20 AM
Jr. Cat

That's great! Hope it goes that good with mine, I'm going out to buy meat tomorrow and get started on the weighing.

I made my own spreadsheet for the cats food because I totally didn't understand Hare Today. I put his weight it and I got the exact same as you have, except mine were a few more decimals but rounded up they are the same

Good luck!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Banned

Congrats! YAY MAK!!!

Go easy on the liver. They only need a little of it and too much, esp. too soon, can result in very unpleasant GI tract effects.

IMO chicken bones are really too big for cats. They can eat the wing tips and rib bones but a lot of it will go to waste. Since you can get quail, just plan to get that in future. Feed the chicken you already got -- just know that you'll be tossing a lot of the bone (which is GOOD b/c if he ate all that bone, it would be too much). He'll eat off the bone what he wants and leave the rest. You can also cut meat off it and feed it boneless for non-bone meals.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Senior Cat

Mine handle chicken drumstick bones just fine but that is the largest I give them. They would happily eat bigger bones! Though really, looking at bones from chicken drumsticks they really aren't that big...

They WILL try eat even turkey drumstick bones so those meals I have to watch for one of them to be done w/ the meat...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Banned

Yes, mine have eaten DS bones back when I fed chicken. I do think that's just too much bone, though. 5-10% of the diet is NOT much bone. IMO many people feed too much bone and too little meatymeat.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoofmaiden
Yes, mine have eaten DS bones back when I fed chicken. I do think that's just too much bone, though. 5-10% of the diet is NOT much bone. IMO many people feed too much bone and too little meatymeat.
I feed two days of meat then one day of drumsticks. With the amount they are eating it (its damp and cold so they eat a lot) they are getting 10% bone. Less and they get the runs, more and they get consipated. So it works out for us
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoofmaiden
IMO chicken bones are really too big for cats. They can eat the wing tips and rib bones but a lot of it will go to waste. Since you can get quail, just plan to get that in future. Feed the chicken you already got -- just know that you'll be tossing a lot of the bone (which is GOOD b/c if he ate all that bone, it would be too much). He'll eat off the bone what he wants and leave the rest. You can also cut meat off it and feed it boneless for non-bone meals.
Yep, I knew leaving all the bone in would be too much. I deboned a lot of the chicken for meatymeat and only left the bones in the drumstick, wings and some of the thighs.

We ran into a problem today... Mak really wanted to eat kidney but he's just strong enough to chew on it yet. Poor guy was licking away at it to no avail even after I chopped it up into tiny pieces. Oh well, slow but steady, haha.

I thought I'd post a couple pictures of the meat... This is 1 weeks' worth of meat, organ and bone.

Kitty loves his organ!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page