Why Organs? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Why Organs?

We've been researching cat nutrition over here, specifically looking at all the nutrition information etc of the various things I'm giving to my cat. One big thing stands out.

If you look at the vitamin/nutrition content of various parts of meat (breast, thigh, heart) vs organs, by and large muscle meat is much more nutritious than organs (except maybe kidney but even then...) and don't provide any useful unique compounds, that I can tell.

I know that the 80/10/10 system is well recognised, but is there a scientific/nutrition based reason for why we're feeding our cats organs, other than the fact that is supposedly "more natural" and maybe adds a bit of variety?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If anyone asks, I'm studying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Banned

Re: Why Organs?

Well, for instance, cats/dogs who don't get enough liver can become vitamin A deficient.

I'm sure there are ways to "make up" for various lacks by providing something else . . . but that's kinda what the pet food cos already do, you know? And why we're not feeding pet food. Best is whole prey b/c it has everything for sure. If you don't feed whole prey, then IMO you need to do the best you can to mimic whole prey via frankenprey.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoofmaiden
Well, for instance, cats/dogs who don't get enough liver can become vitamin A deficient.
Sorry, yes, liver is the one important organ to feed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoofmaiden
Best is whole prey b/c it has everything for sure. If you don't feed whole prey, then IMO you need to do the best you can to mimic whole prey via frankenprey.
Yes, but why is whole prey better? Isn't the 5% non-liver organ kind of, well, useless in that it *doesn't* provide anything that say, thigh meat already does? If anything it's less nutritious.

I understand the importance of balance, but I don't understand why we're following the 5% rule simply because animals did in nature. Surely they only ate the pancreas because they'd already killed the animal, were eating everything else anyway and one the prowl, you need all the calories you can get? Isn't it better, now that we have the option, to take out the less valuable organs and replace it with meats that are better for them?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Banned

I'll ask this question on the rawfeeding yahoo group, o.k.?

Basically, though, I think the answer will be that we can't really be sure WHAT they are getting from X, Y, Z, and human interference/thinking we know better is what got us into such a mess re: pet food.

Why is thigh meat "better" than kidney? I don't get your logic, really. Even if it contains more of something or other, more is not necessarily better. 5% of the diet is a TINY amount and isn't taking up space for "better" meats.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Senior Cat

Kidney and other secreting organs are fed to mimic a mouse.

While boneless meat may have element A it may not have B. The secreting organ may have B and not A.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Banned

Well, I asked, and one of the regulars basically just agreed w/ my answer to you and said: "Every (EVERY) time we mere humans try to prioritize nutrients, we do it incompletely if not profoundly wrong. Better to ask, "Who knows?" than "Who knew?" "

I really REALLY agree with this. I am all about research (drives everyone I know nuts) but there are some things I am willing to take at face value. The BEST food ever for a cat is a mouse. So the best thing to do is to feed mice OR to do our LEVEL best to mimic the mouse. And that means 5% organs other than liver. <shrug> Human hubris has screwed up animals SO MUCH. I think that standing back and admitting that Mother Nature just MIGHT know better than we do is a good thing sometimes.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Tom Cat

While I agree that another organ should be fed. You are technically right that another is not needed when comparing to the minimum requirements per the AAFCO. Meat, fat, bones, and liver technically has the nutrients listed on their recommendation. But IMO more organs the better. Also the prey model diet is a very rough guideline.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 03:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris10
But IMO more organs the better.
Well, not really, LOL! Only 5% of the diet should be organs other than liver. Too MUCH organ (i.e., meaning less meatymeat) and you will certainly have health problems (particularly taurine deficiency b/c taurine is most prevalant in muscle meat).
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Sorry, I'm not talking about protein vs. fat etc, I'm talking about specific vitamins, minerals and amino acids.

I'm using this site: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

I wanted to post specific examples but unfortunately they don't allow direct linking. But search for "chicken thigh" in poultry products vs. "pork stomach" in pork products (or beef brain etc etc etc) and compare the data. By and large there are less vitamins in the organs I looked at (other than kidney and liver), and what vitamins they did have they had fewer of.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Banned

But MORE is not BETTER. ??? The goal should be mimicking the mouse, not finding a way to stuff as many nutrients as possible into the kitty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page