Any Meat That You Won't Feed? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Any Meat That You Won't Feed?

Personally, I can't feed cow tongue. It is just something I can't bring myself to do.

Why?

Its much to cute

and I spend a lot of time with my hand in calves mouths. to get a calf started on her bottle you put your hand in their mouths. to give a calf pills you get them sucking on your hand/shove your hand (and the pill gun) into their mouths. or just because I can let them suck on my hand.

anything you can't feed? I have no problem feeding beef but can't handle the thought of feeding tongue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Kitten

Re: Any Meat That You Won't Feed?

Hi. New member here. Glad for the forum and for this particular topic.

As someone who is very active in feline rescue, I go out of my way to not feed anything that has been factory farmed....even when it costs more. (and no, I don't have a lot of extra cash, or really ANY extra cash, but its *that* important to me).

If I have to buy canned food or use some kibble (for my dog as an emergency meal) I really feel horrible about the acute suffering I'm personally contributing to, and also about the fact that I'm using scared, abused, neglected and unhealthy animals as a source of "nutrition" for my little ones.

Its fundamentally unethical and unhealthy, IMO. While I have yet to find an affordable source of food animals that are raised in a way I am completely comfortable with (which won't even be possible until factory farming stops being govt subsidized), I'm still happier feeding my guys from a place like Hare-today (still not without its own issues as she gets her chickens from factory farmed hatcheries, which I am very disappointed by) than from fundamentally inhumanely raised sources.

Its actually one of the problems I have with a lot of the rodent sources for cats I've seen. While its not as industrialized as our factory farmed animal products (only due to less volume), that industry too tends to mimic the CAFO model of animal production. I won't bring myself to create a market for abuse and torture just to save a few cents per meal....I just can't justify that.

Yes, this does happen to be my major soapbox issue

And....Hi all!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 01:58 PM
Cat

Wow, cute pictures! (My grandma tricked me into eating cow tongue once! We raised beef cattle).

The only thing I avoid for my cats and dogs are enhanced meats. I also don't feed a lot of fish due to mercury concerns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelliet
Hi. New member here. Glad for the forum and for this particular topic.

As someone who is very active in feline rescue, I go out of my way to not feed anything that has been factory farmed....even when it costs more. (and no, I don't have a lot of extra cash, or really ANY extra cash, but its *that* important to me).

If I have to buy canned food or use some kibble (for my dog as an emergency meal) I really feel horrible about the acute suffering I'm personally contributing to, and also about the fact that I'm using scared, abused, neglected and unhealthy animals as a source of "nutrition" for my little ones.

Its fundamentally unethical and unhealthy, IMO. While I have yet to find an affordable source of food animals that are raised in a way I am completely comfortable with (which won't even be possible until factory farming stops being govt subsidized), I'm still happier feeding my guys from a place like Hare-today (still not without its own issues as she gets her chickens from factory farmed hatcheries, which I am very disappointed by) than from fundamentally inhumanely raised sources.

Its actually one of the problems I have with a lot of the rodent sources for cats I've seen. While its not as industrialized as our factory farmed animal products (only due to less volume), that industry too tends to mimic the CAFO model of animal production. I won't bring myself to create a market for abuse and torture just to save a few cents per meal....I just can't justify that.

Yes, this does happen to be my major soapbox issue

And....Hi all!
Small dairy farms (normally) take great care of their animals. The one I work at does and our family farm also did before we quit. Actually I have been feeding some beef that I have raised lol!

Whenever I can I buy ranger chicken necks, that is the best brand (as far as they treat the animals) you can get here. I also try feed whole ranger chicken whenever I can get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page