I want her on raw... but she's a kibble junkie - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I want her on raw... but she's a kibble junkie

My husband and I adopted a cat from the shelter today, and she has been on dry food only for the last year (that's how long she's been in the shelter) and who knows what before she was found pregnant in a box in a parking lot.
She just came home today, and they sent her home with a small bag of Science Diet (yuck) which she won't touch. We bought her a couple cans as well, wellness, natural balance, blue, to see if she would try those, and it's a no go.
I have three dogs which are all on a prey model raw diet (meat, bone, organs) and I would like to get Tilly there...
Tilly is our first cat, and I have done a lot of readying on transitioning cats to raw... going kibble to wet, then wet to raw. Question is how do I transition her when she won't eat ANYTHING? I'm sure she's just nervous tonight, but at what point do I worry about her not eating?

I'm sure these questions are silly, but she's our first cat... and while I am a dog expert, getting Tilly taught me really quick that i know nothing about kitties, but we relly want to do everything right with her.

--Linsey--
Tilly & Ellie Rescued January 2010... the first kitties to walk into my life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 11:40 PM
Cat Addict

Re: I want her on raw... but she's a kibble junkie

If you just got her today she may be too scared to eat. When I first got Leo he didn't eat or use the litter box for the first 18-20 hours I had him. After that he realized "Oh this place isn't so bad. Man, I'm starving." and now he eats everything I put in front of him. Give her a little time and space and see if she comes round. If she doesn't eat after 24 hours I would consult a vet to see if there are any other problems.

Good luck with your kitty!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 11:44 PM
Tom Cat

In general cats do not eat when they are uncomfortable in a new environment. Do you have her locked in a room by herself right now for her to get used to the new sounds and smells? I just moved into a new apartment 2 weeks ago, and my 5 year old female refused to eat for 3 whole days (well, she had a small nibble of her canned food everyday, but she would just have a couple bites and walk away), at which point she finally ate when I made her a ''tent'' in a half circle kind of chair where she felt safe (as it is where she always sleeps). I woke her up with the food and that was what coaxed her to eat. I wouldnt try switching to raw right away, start off with slowly taking away the yucky science diet and adding more high quality canned food, and then eventually go into raw, but definitly dont rush it. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Yes, we set her up in the laundry room as a getaway. (no, we aren't going to lock her in there all day though!) We plan on putting a kitty door on the laundry room door so she can escape as she pleases, but for tonight, we are keeping her in there to get used to the smells and sounds of our house. We have three dogs, and she seems to absolutely adore one of them, but ignores the other two.
Should I leave some food down for her tonight, or put it down for 15 and pick it back up until the next meal? I feel so silly with all my questions, I know just about everything about dogs, and I want to get to that point with cats too, but with her being our first, I know we have a ton to learn.
I'll rest easier when she decides to eat, I think. Right now I have a little bit of the Hills junk in there with her, with a little "glob" of Wellness grain free (maybe a tbsp) next to it, but not mixed, to see if she will take to it at all.

--Linsey--

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 01:29 AM
Cat Addict

I would just leave the food in there with her for now, see if she has eaten some by morning. The point now is to get her to eat, you don't have to get her on a feeding schedule just yet. Adding a little bit of wet food would be fine as well
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 01:05 PM
Tom Cat

Yeah I would leave the food down and see if she eats any. Its best to have her in the laundry room for a couple days, and slowly introduce her to the rest of the house, then bring her back to her ''safe room'' so she feels comfortable, you dont want to stress her out and intro her to everything at once. Take is slow, day by day. When I adopted my kitten, I kept him in my bedroom for 3 days before I let him explore the rest of the house, and even then I locked him up with me at night, then after 2 weeks he had free roam of the place. But, I also had an older cat that I had to do the slow introduction period.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you for the replies. I left her food down for her last night, it doesn't look like she ate any of it. I picked it up at about 9am this morning, and am planning on giving her fresh food around 5 when we feed the dogs. Good plan, or should I do something different?
She has access to the laundry room, and our small loft, but that's it right now. We set up the baby gate and have the dogs blocked downstairs and I'm mostly just leaving her alone for now. Is she going to feel scared by herself, or am I doing the right thing by giving her space today?

--Linsey--

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 02:08 PM
Cat Addict

I would give her space for that most part. However, if you want to be in the same room as her I would take a book into the room and just sit down and just be there, not really paying much attention to her. Now if she comes up to you on her own and starts asking for pets or wants to play I would praise her and pet/play with her (allowing her to decide when to stop). However, do not allow her to play with your hands. Human appendages are not play things and no cat should be taught that biting or scratching them is ok. The reason for this is they will have less of an impetous against biting or scratching in anger.

As far as the food goes, If she doesn't eat anything tonight (leave to food out for her overnight again) I would try tempting her with some chicken or tuna to see if she will eat that.

The main point is to let her settle in and to not stress her out too much.

Best of luck.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 08:14 AM
Senior Cat

if youve only had her 1-2 days, I would give her kibble if thats what she prefers or whatever she prefers. I wouldnt start trying any conditioning until she's settled in for probably at least a few weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page