Thinking about switching.. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thinking about switching..

Hi everyone! I have been thinking about making the switch to raw food but I am still uneasy about some things. First off, I know that a raw diet is much more natural for a kitty-cat but is it completely safe? Can cats catch diseases from eating raw meat? Second, what meats are good to start my kitties with to reduce the chance of them getting sick? And would it be beneficial to do half canned half raw? Like, canned in the morning and raw at night? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I just want happy, healthy kitties.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nicki - Mar 2007, Male
Muffy - July 2007, Female
Peter - Mar 2008, Male
Pawprints - Apr 2008, Male
Footprints - Apr 2008, Female
Midnight - Oct 2008, Male
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Banned

Re: Thinking about switching..

First, I recommend reading through this forum, b/c most of your questions have already been covered in detail.

Second, be sure to thoroughly study these websites, which will answer most of your questions as well:

http://www.rawfedcats.org/
http://www.rawfed.com/myths/index.html
http://www.rawlearning.com/

I also recommend joining the rawcat yahoo group: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawcat/

I'm not a big fan of mixing canned and raw forever. It's a good way to get the cat eating raw, and it's better than no raw. But why do you want to do that? It's probably going to end up being no more expensive to feed all raw and possibly less expensive. Raw meat is less smelly than canned food. No real advantages that I can see to feeding any raw!

Best way to start: Try just offering some raw meat. Many cats catch on FAST. Best thing to start w/ IMO is quartered cornish game hens or halved quail. Ribbon the meat a bit w/ a knife to make things easier and just see how the cats handle that. If they seem clueless, you can try sprinking on a LITTLE tuna juice or parm cheese, cutting the piece up a little smaller, etc.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you for the reply. The only reason I think I would need a little canned food is for my special needs kitty (Nicki). He only has his canine teeth so I figured it would be difficult for him to tear into the meat. My vet has suggested feeding all of the kitties together because when the other cats saw Nicki eating canned food in the other room without them, they started getting very jealous and being mean to Nicki. This is the only reason I would feed canned with the raw.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nicki - Mar 2007, Male
Peter - Mar 2008, Male
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

I joined the yahoo group

Nicki - Mar 2007, Male
Peter - Mar 2008, Male
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayytooblonde
Thank you for the reply. The only reason I think I would need a little canned food is for my special needs kitty (Nicki). He only has his canine teeth so I figured it would be difficult for him to tear into the meat.
You'd be surprised, actually! But if it turns out he can't deal w/ whole meat, then whole ground rabbit is available from Hare Today:

http://www.hare-today.com/product_info. ... ucts_id=34

You could get that for him and feed the others whole food. Add a little powdered taurine b/c (1) rabbit isn't super high in taurine anyway and (2) grinding increases surface area and can result in taurine loss.
Quote:
My vet has suggested feeding all of the kitties together because when the other cats saw Nicki eating canned food in the other room without them, they started getting very jealous and being mean to Nicki. This is the only reason I would feed canned with the raw.
That doesn't make much sense. . . I recommend separating them so you can be sure that each cat is getting what he/she needs. Cats don't do "jealous" and if the door is closed it won't much matter anyway. Plus, they'll all be getting raw so they'll all be happy.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Okay, thank you. Nicki has actually always been picked on. It has gotten A LOT better recently. We are only having trouble with Midnight picking on him. I will start separating them when they eat.

Nicki - Mar 2007, Male
Peter - Mar 2008, Male
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page