Raw + antibiotics? Aggression? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Raw + antibiotics? Aggression?

Hi all (edited to add another question),

My foster cat goes absolutely crazy for raw. She has just spent the last 10 minutes licking the floor, in search of some small leftover bit.

I give her small pieces with each meal, but I'm hesitant because she is still on antibiotics (clavamox for severe mastitis, which is looking better slowly). Her stools have been just fine on 95% EVO, but I'm worried about the abios knocking out her bacteria. I imagine (although I could be wrong) that their intestinal flora is one of the reasons why cats can tolerate the raw meals.

Is it alright to feed her raw while on the abios?

While I have your attention, I've also noticed both ET and Lacey getting quite "food aggressive." If ET is eating, he was growl and really attempt to scarf down his food, super fast. I've found that the further away I feed Lacey from him (at the same time), the calmer he will be. Today was the first time I noticed this behavior in Lacey. I gave her a small square of chicken, and she ran away with it and growled. And it took her forever to eat it, too! I forget what it's like to have a cat without any jaw strength. ET was good and didn't bother her or try to steal her food, but watched her closely.

Of course I could separate them since I feed them myself, but can I expect this type of behavior to die down after some more time? I have only had Lacey a month and they've been introduced < 3/4 that time (a bit before the spay, and now after her recovery).

Thank you!

-BP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 06:39 AM
Cool Cat

Re: Raw + antibiotics? Aggression?

Not sure about the antibiotics so hopefully someone else will help you with that. As far as aggression, that is not uncommon. Just like when my dog was alive he was fine if we were near his food bowl but would guard marrow bones we gave him. It's much higher value, they like it better.

It's possible as the cat gets more and more used to eating raw she'll stop being so possessive since it won't be "special" treats anymore, Willie guarded the first real meat he ever ate but never did again after that. However that might not change so try and feed the cats as far away from each other as possible. Make sure ET never steals from Lacey or else her aggression could get worse since ET would have confirmed her suspicions that he wanted to steal her very important noms.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Banned

Yeah, abios do a job on intestinal flora. I would be giving her acidophilus during the abios and for 2-3 weeks following.

Plenty of raw feeders use abios w/out a problem. I know I have. I wouldn't worry about that.

Carnivores are just naturally food aggressive and cats, who don't hunt in packs, may be less tolerant of others near their food. It's normal. That said, we want to protect our kitties and make sure they are each getting what they should. I feed my cats separately for this reason. It's a pretty simple matter to teach the cats who goes where and in what order. Generally, it's best to feed the cat w/ seniority in the household first (that means ET). Take his bowl and walk to the room you want to feed him in. Put the bowl down and lock him in. If Lacey followed you, just scoop her up and take her out. Then have her follow you to HER room.

If you have to change that order it's not the end of the world. Jonah goes first in our household b/c he's a hyper, crazy kitten and it's just easier. He runs ahead of me to the bathroom, where he eats. I close that door and return to the kitchen for the other 2 bowls. I walk to the storeroom, where I put down Lincoln's food. Calvin doesn't even bother following me anymore; he waits in the DR where he knows I will return w/ his bowl in mere seconds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Today the aggression was pretty bad. I guess I made it worse, however, because I gave ET a chicken thigh. This resulted in him eating all the meat off the bone (through low growls the whole time) and then continuing to be very upset as the meal was never really "done." He ran all around the apartment with the bone in his mouth, growling pretty loudly. I'm worried he's going to scarf down a bone prematurely, just so she can't get it. Lacey doesn't go near him. When I picked Lacey up, she was extremely tense.

I think its affecting her wanting to eat; the messages he's sending must be really scary. Tonight she just licked her wet food (rather than really digging in) and it took her a minute or two even to take the first bite.

I'm guessing I'm just going to have to separate them. Right now Lacey is in the bathroom, hopefully finishing her dinner (ET scarfed down a chicken neck no problem). It's not a huge deal as I always feed them when I'm home, and hope that with time and more routine (and making sure that no ones food gets stolen!) this will ease up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoofmaiden
Yeah, abios do a job on intestinal flora. I would be giving her acidophilus during the abios and for 2-3 weeks following.
Where can i get acidophilus? A health store? She vomited today (not sure if it was because of the stress or if her belly is upset, she's on day 10 of abios) and I imagine her system could use some help.

-BP
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 11:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETrescued
I'm guessing I'm just going to have to separate them. Right now Lacey is in the bathroom, hopefully finishing her dinner (ET scarfed down a chicken neck no problem). It's not a huge deal as I always feed them when I'm home, and hope that with time and more routine (and making sure that no ones food gets stolen!) this will ease up.
Yes, just separate them! Not sure why you're reluctant to do so. Food aggression is normal -- if you don't want it to happen, you have to separate them. It's simple to do!

Quote:
Where can i get acidophilus? A health store? She vomited today (not sure if it was because of the stress or if her belly is upset, she's on day 10 of abios) and I imagine her system could use some help.
Yes, any health food store. The best ones for cats are NON-dairy and contain billions of microorganisms. Don't get the cheap stuff at Wal-Mart.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thanks as always, Elizabeth!

I have another post going about other issues Lacey has been having

Seems like she has a very angry GI tract. I'm going out today to pick up some probios and try to get her back to regulated.

And yes, I'm going to have to separate them. It certainly is not a big deal as I'm always home feeding them anyway!

-BP
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 09:48 PM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETrescued
Today the aggression was pretty bad. I guess I made it worse, however, because I gave ET a chicken thigh. This resulted in him eating all the meat off the bone (through low growls the whole time) and then continuing to be very upset as the meal was never really "done." He ran all around the apartment with the bone in his mouth, growling pretty loudly.
I just laughed out loud, I know it's not the behaviour that you want, but that just sounds so darn cute!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria066
I just laughed out loud, I know it's not the behaviour that you want, but that just sounds so darn cute!!
It was a bit entertaining The funniest thing is that it is just *so* out of character for ET! Granted he is a bit in your face, but I never imagined he would be so protective of his food... and I was amazed at how he managed to growl SO loudly between his chews haha.

Needless to say, they are now being fed in separate rooms. Although I did drop a piece of Chex cereal onto the floor today, which did result in some growling as ET grabbed and consumed it as fast as he could

-BP
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 10:41 AM
Banned

ET was once a stray, no? He probably learned to fight for his food, with good reason!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page