Newbie Raw Feeder! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Newbie Raw Feeder!

Hi there, I'm new to the forum and also new to raw feeding...kind of. I've been feeding my dogs raw since November, but haven't switched the cat yet. I just finished reading Natural Nutrition for Cats by Kymythy a Schultze, and feel like I'm ready to take the plunge. But now for a few newb questions:

Do I have to make the recipes? Or can I feed raw the way I do with my dogs (throw it in a bowl, and pronto, it's ready). Obviously I'd use smaller ingredients, but you get the idea.

Another thing is, how important is it to have all the ingredients while transitioning? I made my first bulk order from a co-op and get my meat in on the 20th. I have chicken necks and hearts coming in along with some other stuff. Right now I have chicken wings, chicken breasts, chicken backs, and ground beef. I know the backs have some organ attached, but it doesn't seem to be as much as cats need.

Anyway, I was wondering if I could feed this until the 20th, and start putting together a little more organ meat and some supplements? Little Cat is 8 years old, very healthy, and currently eating EVO kibble.

Thanks everyone!! Glad to have found this forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 06:25 AM
Cool Cat

Re: Newbie Raw Feeder!

Hi, welcome to the forum, I'm glad to hear you feed your dogs raw and want to switch your cat!
You do not have to feed any of those ground up recipe things or give a whole bunch of supplements like some people have you think. IF you grind, then yes you need to supplement, if you don't, you don't. To have a balanced diet you need to feed about 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, and 5% of another organ (heart does not count as an organ for raw feeding purposes, it is muscle meat). Feed 2 or 3 percent of the cat's body weight to start and adjust from there based on the cat's condition.

you cat will be fine on the meat and bone you have until the 20th. Most of us work on transitioning the cat to meat first then slowly work up to organ and bone, so usually a complete diet is not fed right off the bat anyway.

As far as supplements all you NEED to feed, if you don't feed oily fish in the diet, is fish body oil for Omega 3's. Some people supplement taurine just in case, I don't, it shouldn't be necessary unless you don't feed any variety. People just like an extra security net, which is fine.

Keep in mind switching an adult cat can be difficult but don't give up, at least not without a good fight.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 09:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Finlay
Hi there, I'm new to the forum and also new to raw feeding...kind of. I've been feeding my dogs raw since November, but haven't switched the cat yet. I just finished reading Natural Nutrition for Cats by Kymythy a Schultze, and feel like I'm ready to take the plunge. But now for a few newb questions:

Do I have to make the recipes? Or can I feed raw the way I do with my dogs (throw it in a bowl, and pronto, it's ready). Obviously I'd use smaller ingredients, but you get the idea.
Welcome! I feed dogs and cats, too, so I hope I can help.

Yes, toss-it-in-the-bowl-whole is the best way to feed! Schultze even says so (I like that book a lot). She offers the recipes but says that whole prey or prey model is better. You'll find lots of info here:

http://www.rawfedcats.org/
Quote:
Another thing is, how important is it to have all the ingredients while transitioning? I made my first bulk order from a co-op and get my meat in on the 20th. I have chicken necks and hearts coming in along with some other stuff. Right now I have chicken wings, chicken breasts, chicken backs, and ground beef. I know the backs have some organ attached, but it doesn't seem to be as much as cats need.
IMO backs are a waste of money and tummy space for dogs - and cats SURE don't need them. No one needs that much bone. Dogs should only have 10% of the diet fed as bone and most cats need less -- 5-10%. I prefer to feed smaller bone to cats -- I feed a lot of mice (frozen feeder mice), but when I feed non-whole prey I go for cornish game hen quarters or halved quail (Asian market) instead of chicken. Chicken bone is too big for most cats Ė they CAN eat some of it, but much of it will just go to waste.

Ditto necks. Itís a LOT of bone.

I feed, say, Ĺ quail per cat in the a.m. and meatymeat (beef, pork or venisonómuscle meat, heart, gizzards, etc.) in the p.m. Then the next day they might get mice in the a.m. and meatymeat in the p.m. Think MORE meat, less bone. Toss in a piece of liver the size of your pinky finger 3-4X a week, ditto kidney, and youíre good!

No need to feed any supplements other than, perhaps, a little salmon body oil. Donít feed ground beef unless you get it free (I sometimes get ground venison in my free Craigslist hauls so I feed it, but Iím not going to BUY it). Spend your money on real meat that the cats have to WORK to eat.

Are you on the rawcats yahoo group? If not, I recommend that you join!

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawcat/

Let us know if you have other questions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks everyone!!

I actually lied, I rechecked my bulk order and I don't have hearts coming, I bought chicken livers! Even better!!

Anyway, I gave the kitty six small chunks of chicken breast for breakfast this morning, and she ate them all up! She absolutely LOVED them! And now she's running around the house, climbing everything like super cat. I'm sure you're familiar with moments like these

My next question would be this.. I'm getting a scale today to measure the food out (I can eyeball the dogs', but not the cat's). She weighs 7lbs. So 3% of her weight would be .21. So, is that .21lbs? How many ounces is that?

Math is not my strong point

Thanks so much again everyone! I hope the entire transition is this easy!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 02:11 PM
Cool Cat

That would be 3.36 ounces of food each day.

In one week the cat would eat 18.8 ounces of meat, 2.35 ounces of bone, 1.18 ounces of liver, and 1.18 ounces of another organ.

If you want daily amounts divide those numbers by 7.
What I do with organ is cut them into the weekly amounts and then chop those pieces into 5 or so pieces. So the cat will eat that organ 5 times that week but will get an entire weeks worth of the organ.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Banned

Here's a handy online calculator for raw feeding for the math challenged.

http://www.hare-today.com/feed.php?osCs ... 6485522fdb

(Scroll down)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Finlay
Anyway, I gave the kitty six small chunks of chicken breast for breakfast this morning, and she ate them all up! She absolutely LOVED them!
Great! Now next time give her one bigger piece and let her do the work herself. Her jaws will strengthen and then she'll be able to handle quail bones, etc.!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks again everyone! This seems like it will be an easy transition so far. And you did all the math for me! It's perfect

I can get almost anything from my co-op, including whole cornish game hens, whole rabbits, whole chickens, whole turkeys and whole goats. Along with just certain parts of these animals, and beef, pork, venison, and a number of different fish. Green tripe, too, but I don't know how I feel about handling that, haha. I can get feeder mice from the local pet supply. So variety is definitely available to me. Now that I know how much to feed, it should be easy as pie!

I meant to mention I feed backs to the dogs in very small cut up pieces. I'll feed chicken backs (maybe 1 cups worth) with 1/2 to 3/4 cup of muscle meat. It works out well and the softer cartilage of the backs are easier on my senior (she's 15).

Thanks again everyone! I'll keep you all updated on how it goes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page