Cat eating disorder? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Cat eating disorder?

Hi one and all!!
I am concerned about a recent development in my kitty’s behavior . He has always be a hearty eater but recently he has not been eating with the same enthusiasm as is normal. Some history: Mathias is a 9ish month old 9lb 2oz juvenile indoor cat. He was abandoned at 3 weeks by Mum and fostered from that time to now by me his doting guardian. For the majority of his life he has eaten a raw diet and had been eating chicken thy bones with no problem. About a month ago i had to leave for 5 days for work and could not take him with me (believe me i checked) I have left for a day or two before but never that long! When i came back he seemed fine however he did not eat his chicken with out me helping him (i.e. partly cutting it off the bone) he would act starving but would leave it for hours. I am worried about what is going on! He has never seemed like he has abandonment issues but I have wondered in the past if he might, with no particular reason or symptoms to support that problem. I have wondered if he has simply stopped growing (for the most part) and dose not need to eat as much as before. But that seems suspect considering the timing. In short i really not know what is going on but I am concerned dose any one have any ideas or has there cat done something similar.

With thanks Wizzel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 01:01 AM
Senior Cat

Re: Cat eating disorder?

Are you rotating what meat you are using? Mine hate it when I feed the same thing to nights in a row. Or he could not be growing much right now.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I do feed chicken most of the time occasionally He gets something different but really Mathias has always eaten what ever I put down. To night he would not touch the chicken leg that i put down until i 1/2 deboned it rrrrrg!! Then he devoured it. It is almost like he has reverted to earlier problems we have had. Its not like he just eats less than normal it seems like he barely eats at all unless he gets deboned food. I don't know what to do I have tried out waiting him for several weeks but as he is only 9ish months old i'm pretty sure he has several more months of growing so i don't want him to not eat but i also don't want to inadvertently encourage bad habits to form. And since it started after I was gone for 5 days I can't help but wonder if that had something to do with it.Thank
Wizzel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 10:40 AM
Banned

I would watch how much bone you're feeding. Chicken thigh bones are HUGE for cats. Yeah, they may be able to eat them, but that's a LOT more bone than cats need. Are you feeding bone-in chicken every day? If so, STOP. Even the meatiest cuts of chicken (breast) are 20% bone--legs and wings have more.

I would consider switching to quail or cornish game hen (smaller bone) and giving bone-in meals with smaller bone at MOST once every 3 meals. The ratio is 80-85% meat, 5-10% bone, 10% organ (half of which must be liver). More bone than 5-10% can cause problems.

It may well be that the problem you experienced was just b/c you were out of town. But I just wanted to point out that you may be feeding too much bone. Try to get him interested in some other meats as well. Oh, and do make sure your chicken isn't "enhanced." It should be 80mg of sodium PER SERVING (on the label) or less. Any more and it's had salt added, which can make cats sick.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Valid point i forgot to mention that he gets 4oz of meat per meal, thigh it may be but it is not all of the thigh, it is cut down to size (acording to a handy excel page i got from this fourm) and some bones i don't expect him to eat like the leg bone it is just to big for him. What he is eating looks to be about 1/2oz-1oz of meat which is planly to little for him but when i take the meat off the bone for him he eats all that is offered. The chicken is not enhanced and he dose get the proportions that you stated, the excel page that i down loaded dose an exelent job of doing the math for me. There is no problem with him eating liver or kidney just bone in meat. I have fed other meat when i can aford it and he has alwase eaten it with no problem. I don't care if he eats all the bone that is down just the meat. If he left around an oz or so of meat I would not be all that conserned, but that is about all he is eating.
Before i left he was eating his meals like there was no tomarow hungrily greedily ect. now i am conserned he is not getting the bare minimum.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 03:29 PM
Tom Cat

4oz of meat per meal is a HUGE amount. My cat is 13 lbs and he eats 4.5oz per DAY. How much does he weigh? He is 9 months old and his growing is pretty much over; if he is a 10lbs cat then you can safely reduce the amount of food he gets by half. If he still seems hungry then you can give a bit more, but you are feeding way too much!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If anyone asks, I'm studying.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyMonster
4oz of meat per meal is a HUGE amount. My cat is 13 lbs and he eats 4.5oz per DAY. How much does he weigh? He is 9 months old and his growing is pretty much over; if he is a 10lbs cat then you can safely reduce the amount of food he gets by half. If he still seems hungry then you can give a bit more, but you are feeding way too much!
Yeah, ditto!! My Jonah is almost 6 mos and is starting to scale back a bit on how much he wants. Instead of devouring 3 meals a day, he's occasionally not finishing one. This doesn't mean that he's sick -- just that he no longer needs QUITE so much growing fuel! They go through stages, too. Jonah did this at 4 mos (wanted a little less) and then ramped back up and wanted more. Now he's scaling back again.

8-10 oz a day isn't too much for a growing cat, but as KittyMonster says, at 9 mos he's getting close to grown up. He may just need less.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Well That is good to know the chart must be off I'll check it, what % of body wight do you use to do your math the info i got from this fourm from people who had done the raw diet for years said 3%-4% for a growing cat and around 2% for an adult cat. Still the timing is a little wierd but that could just be a coincidence. Is 1oz per 2 meals a day enough for a 9lb cat? That is around what he seems to be eating these days. Still he ate all the food before the trip 3oz-4oz of meat not including bone twice a day and now down to 1oz maby 2oz twice a day. That is a big change and he dose not have any fat on him I have checked (i'm sure he must have some some ware I just can't find it) ganning a steady 1lb a month and a coat to die for ect. so if it was to much i'm not sure where it went to.....
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 09:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzel
Is 1oz per 2 meals a day enough for a 9lb cat? That is around what he seems to be eating these days.
No.

Calculator: http://www.hare-today.com/feed.php

I would be offering a 9 mo old kitten 3-5 oz twice a day. He may not eat it all if he's transitioning to eating a little less, but 2 oz a day is NOT enough.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

That is what i thought!!
Let me clarify 2oz twice a day is not what i put down for him that is what he is eating. So naturaly that is why i am concerned. Tho last night he ate all his dinner I choose to see that as a good sign.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page