Choking issues.. anyone else had this? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Choking issues.. anyone else had this?

so Jango has been on raw for about a month and a half now.. he's not fully raw, he's high quality canned in the morning, and raw at night, and feeling pretty good about the whole diet. he seems to have TONS of energy right after eating his meat, and rockets around like a tiny maniac for a good half hour after every dinner! very cute!

but he chokes. ALL THE TIME. I have to sit there and watch him eat to make sure he isn't going to die (which is actually a big part of the canned in the morning, as I don't have time to watch him eat in the am.) he isn't so bad with just pure meat, but the main problem is the meat with the bones in. I'm using Quail, which I found at superstore (might be a canadian thing, but it's sort of a warehouse style grocery store) frozen, a pack of 6 for just under $8. not bad I thought, especially for not having to make a trip to a chinese supermarket or something, and I'm more comfortable with the tiny size than I have been with any kind of chicken bones, including CGH, which seem kinda big to me!

I can tell when he's going to choke too, I can see him chewing, and he's getting tired of chewing, and he decides he'll just try to swallow everything that's left, and ALWAYS chokes. happens like 3 times during a half a quail.

he's always managed to cough it up pretty quickly, but this worries me.. and I always have to supervise him eating just in case I have to kitty heimlich.

anyone had this situation, or have any thoughts on why my kitten seems to be such a lazy chewer?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 01:15 AM
Tom Cat

Re: Choking issues.. anyone else had this?

Everyday for one of my kitties. IMO cats are lazy creatures. If they think it can go down the hatch whole, they will attempt it. All four of my cats will swallow a whole neck every once in a while. But one tries it everyday and chokes on it 99% of the time. In the very beginning I was a little concerned, now its predictable and I don't care as much.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Banned

I always stay around while my cats are eating, just in case, but cats and dogs vomit VERY easily, unlike human beings, for good reason. He will eventually learn to chew longer, and his jaws will get stronger. If you get him off the canned and onto real meat 100% his jaws will get stronger faster!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 08:09 AM
Tom Cat

This is an old post but my cat was choking for like two or three minutes today. And I was doing all kinds of things like slapping his back or rib cage and doing the heimlich maneuver. So when he stopped, I went to the emergency hospital and they said to never EVER feed him bones, even raw bones ever again. They told me cats have died due to choking. They also told me that the cat could be in so much distress that he/she will stop breathing because they lose oxygen supply. And then she said to not ever mess with a cat while he/she is choking because then the cat will panic more. She said instead to immediately grab the cat and drive it to an emergency hospital so they could sedate it and stuff. I got so scared Almost makes me want to not feed raw. And I didn't even cut the quail, I gave half of it whole.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 08:27 AM
Senior Cat

Oh how scary!

But I have to ask.. if he had choked on kibble, would you never feed it again because it could happen? Or would you chalk it up to bad luck and move on.

We feed 5 cats and two dogs raw, for about 3yrs now. Never had anyone choke bad enough they couldn't get it up themselves.. sure they've choked, but I never interfere and they hork it back up on their own within a moment or two. As scary as the first time was, I know that cats are built to do this.. no one would rush them to the E vet in the wild.. so they HAVE to have ways to deal with it.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 12:19 PM
Banned

I hate to sound mean, but I think cats need to choke a little when eating bone. They have to learn to chew and use their jaw muscles. Choking is perfectly natural when transitioning over to raw because the cat is so used to eating kibble and having the pieces all perfectly out there for it to eat.

catlady, I hope you don't switch off of raw from this experience. Cats should be supervised during raw transition meals anyway, but don't pat the cat on the back, they have to do it on their own. And the choking should usually last only a few seconds. Any more than that though, ya, get some medical attention.

Both Harley and Pico have choked a bit when trying bone, but they were alright just a few minutes later. I was concerned but after reading some articles on a raw fed site, I realize that cats sometimes have to go through the choking process.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 12:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlady2010
So when he stopped, I went to the emergency hospital and they said to never EVER feed him bones, even raw bones ever again. They told me cats have died due to choking. They also told me that the cat could be in so much distress that he/she will stop breathing because they lose oxygen supply.
Lord. One wonders what these vets think wild animals do. From the sound of it, they should all have been dead millenia ago.

Generally, if cats "choke" one of 2 things is happening:

(1) the bones that were fed were either too small (i.e., the owner cut the bone-in food up into little pieces, rather than letting the cat eat as he knows how) or too large (i.e., big pieces of bone too large for cats);

(2) the cat wasn't really choking but trying to puke up a piece that was too large. Cats are VERY good at vomiting -- there is a reason for that. Often novice raw feeders will bite off more than they can swallow, but since they are good at vomiting, they will puke it up and chew it better the second time around.

I'm not saying it's impossible for a cat to choke on bone -- of course it's possible. But as someone else said, it's also possible for a cat to choke on kibble (and actually more likely, since they were not designed to eat small dry pieces of biscuit).
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 12:33 AM
Tom Cat

He just randomly started choking that day. He never choked before. It was like half a quail, I didn't cut it up. Anyway, it freaked me out. I still gave him quail again last night and he didn't choke.

So what do you do when the cat starts choking? Do you just leave them alone? I heard if you mess with them that will cause them to stress out more. How long before you rush them to the emergency hospital? I heard about the technique where you grab them by their hind legs, turn them upside down so their head is facing the ground and gently hit them on the side (but not too hard).
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Banned

I just doubt the cat was really choking. If he was, he'd have been dead long b/f you got to the vet--choking means that no air is getting in b/c the trachea is blocked. He was trying to get the food up or down the esophagus, which can be difficult but isn't choking. More than likely he learned and is now chewing off the correct sized pieces.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 04:25 PM
Banned

My cats have never choked that I'm aware of (and I do supervise them - but only because, given half a chance, the faster eaters will move over to the other plates and start chowing down on their neighbor's food). I have, however, seen my laziest cat, Meghan, repeatedly try to swallow meat chunks that are just too big to go down. She invariably horks 'em up, chews them in half (like she should have the first time 'round) and finishes her meals normally.

I don't listen to vets with wild claims that the very foods an animal evolved to eat are inimical to said animals welfare - it just totally defies logic. Not to mention, of course, the nutritional training vets receive via the PFI vs. the extensive research I have put into educating myself on the well-known (but completely ignored by the PFI) needs of an obligate carnivore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page