Raw eggs? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Raw eggs?

Hi all,

I've heard people mention feeding raw eggs. I am not a huge egg eater myself, although I did just buy a dozen to bake some cookies. How do I feed a raw egg to the cats? As is? Is an egg a rare treat? Any unpleasant side effects to be expected (ie. runny stools)?

Thank youuuu!

-BP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 01:57 PM
Banned

Re: Raw eggs?

Egg can result in diarrhea if you give too much or they're not used to them. I have pet chickens, but I usually give the eggs to the dogs. Occasionally I'll split one b/t the 3 cats (put in bowl, whisk to mix yolk and white, and then divide into 3 bowls). I would NOT give one cat a whole egg.

I would say that IMO it's a waste to feed eggs UNLESS you feed organic eggs with a high omega 3 content. Many commercial eggs have a very LOW omega 3 content b/c they, like many cattle, are grain-fed (which results in low 3s and too-high 6s). If you can find organic eggs that state high omega 3 content, that may be worth it. Otherwise, not really.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 04:05 PM
Cool Cat

You feed it as more of a treat than anything, I've tried but Willie doesn't think so lol. You can just crack it into a bowl and mix it up, the shell can be fed too. But yes it can result in loose stool in some cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Alrighty, thank you

I think I will split an egg between the 2 and see how that goes. I rarely have eggs in the house so it will be infrequent, but I can't pass up trying out a new food so long as it's alright!

-BP
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 02:03 PM
Cat Addict

Mine love eggs, I usually split 2 eggs between the four cats, about twice a month. I whisk them up, sometimes i add some parmesean cheese for a treat, then i pour it onto their meal. Usually something ground because that's their least fav, lol.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

I had read that raw eggs were not good for cats, even though my mother fed them to her cat, and I used to make egg nogs for them. (worse yet!) So I double checked and found this:

Quote:
Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella.
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1&aid=1029

There is a long list of foods which could be harmful to cats. I would imagine that a "sometimes treat" would be all right though.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie
Quote:
Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella.
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1&aid=1029
Avidin! I learned all about avidin. It can have similar effects in humans if raw eggs are consumed in large quantities.

I imagine that like many things it would be alright in moderation

Does anyone know if B12 stores in cats "last" as they do in humans? In humans B12 is extremely well reabsorbed in humans, unless there has been intestinal (specifically ileal) removal.

Thanks!

-BP
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 04:27 PM
Cool Cat

yeah, that problem is caused by too many egg whites, but that's only if you regularly feed them.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 04:35 PM
Banned

You really don't have to worry about the avidin thing unless, as Siameseifuplz said, they are a huge part of the diet.

B12 has nothing to do w/ biotin . . . and cats get plenty on a raw diet, so no worries.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 06:51 PM
Senior Cat

I always lightly cook the egg white but feed the yolk raw...cooking the white helps to destory the avidin.

Each cat ends up eating roughly 2.5 eggs a month.

The chances of an egg containing salmonella are very slim - 0.005% of all eggs are infected. (http://www.incredibleegg.org/egg-facts/ ... ood-safety)

Besides, cat are made to be able to handle salmonella
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page