Eager to switch but my girlfriend isnt - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Eager to switch but my girlfriend isnt

Hey I am quiet eager to switch our cats to raw diet but my girlfriend is very reluctant because she doesnt want to set a feeding time for them, she basically never wants them to be hungry and she doesnt know if they will be getting enough food if we only feed them a couple of times a day. Will the cats adjust to the scheduled meals fine or is there something that they can snack on through out the day other than dry food?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Cool Cat

Re: Eager to switch but my girlfriend isnt

They should adjust fine. Most animals will not stop when they are full, they eat and eat and eat and end up getting fat. Just like you wouldn't let a human child stuff his face all day long you shouldn't let a cat (some do stop when full, many don't).

A cat should not get hungry until very close to meal time as long as you are feeding the proper amount. If you want to feed three meals instead of two it might make your girlfriend feel better.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Banned

Ask her to think a little about how cats eat in the wild. They can't "graze" like horses or cattle (or even humans, who descended from primates who snacked on vegetation off and on all day long).

Cats do not gorge/fast to the degree that canids do (a wolf pack may bring down a caribou once in 3-7 days, gorging themselves on up to 21% of their body weight!). Instead, since they hunt alone, their prey is small. They may kill twice a day, occasionally 3X a day. There is no handy snack feeder out in the wild.

The canine and feline pancreas is not set up for constant use. Forcing it to work overtime via snacking (and even walking by th kibble bowl and smelling the food can trigger it to launch into high gear) is one thing that can lead to diabetes, as can the carbs in kibble.

Even when I DID feed kibble, I never free-fed. My cats have always eaten twice a day (adults, that is--kittens, of course, eat more often). For cats used to having the gravy-train available 24/7, that's the hardest transition to make, and often getting the cat used to meal feeding first (using the food they are already familiar with, be that kibble or canned) is the best way to proceed. Once the cat is used to eating meals twice a day, then you can transition to raw (using canned as an intermediary if necessary).

Will the cat sometimes be hungry? YES!! And thatís a GOOD thing. Hunger means that you enjoy your food and eat it heartily, rather than nibbling half-heartedly. A great thing to do before meals is to play interactively w/ your cat Ė with a Cat Dancer or Da Bird toy, simulating hunting. Then, when the catís food is presented, itís as if he made a kill. The end result is true Satisfaction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Well after learning more about my girlfriend had agreed to do the raw diet for our cats. Tomorrow will be the first full day of raw. We got some chicken breast and some chicken livers to give them and so far have been doing great and really enjoying it. Aries is doing amazing being able to handle the slightly larger pieces while Isis still needs to strengthen up her jaw to really go through the big stuff...same goes for Hiei our newcomer cat but she just had her second meal of raw and seems to be doing great and recovering from her surgery quickly.
To clear up any future confusion my girlfriend is brittanymuldowney so if it seems like certain posts overlap thats probably the reason.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Banned

I would WAIT on the liver. Cats only need a tiny amount and too much, esp. too soon, will result in diarrhea.

You want to feed, over time, 80-85% meat, 5-10% bone, and 10% organ (half of which must be liver). Feed twice a day. I usually feed at most one bony meal in 3 meals (unless I'm feeding mice--mice are the complete package, with a perfect ratio of everything, whereas chicken/game hen/quail are processed, and so have a much higher bone content than would be found in the whole bird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page