Books on raw feeding? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Books on raw feeding?

I was just wondering if there are books that are about raw feeding or connected to raw feeding which are good sources infromation and please include books that may include studies...just trying to get more info...I can't believe how many pages I have bookmarked in relation to raw feeding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 07:09 PM
Kitten

Re: Books on raw feeding?

Natural Nutrition for Cats: The Path to Purr-fect Health by Kymythy Schultze.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 12:26 PM
Banned

There are a few books that have SOME good info on raw feeding (the one linked above is one of them) but unfortunately, most of the books out there (including the one above) insist on presenting "recipes," which people tend to latch onto. I know the desire to have it handed to you--I felt that, too, when I started. But the problems with the recipes are that (1) most of them contain ground meat, rather than whole, (2) they tend to contain supplements, which cats don't need, and (3) they tend to try to get everything into one meal. The end result of this is that they are complicated (and, in the case of the ground meat, inappropriate).

Instead, I recommend joining the 2 raw feeding Yahoo groups for support from people who have been feeding this way for many years and can tell you how to do it in a no-nonsense manner, without grinding, supplementing, or obsessing about the % every single day.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfcat/

The books are good reading once you feel comfortable doing it the simple way, but IMO reading them early on just leads to your making the whole thing WAAAAY more complicated than it needs to be (and many people find that itís too complicated to stick with). Keeping it Simple really does work better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 02:55 AM
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoofmaiden
There are a few books that have SOME good info on raw feeding (the one linked above is one of them) but unfortunately, most of the books out there (including the one above) insist on presenting "recipes," which people tend to latch onto. I know the desire to have it handed to you--I felt that, too, when I started. But the problems with the recipes are that (1) most of them contain ground meat, rather than whole, (2) they tend to contain supplements, which cats don't need, and (3) they tend to try to get everything into one meal. The end result of this is that they are complicated (and, in the case of the ground meat, inappropriate).

Instead, I recommend joining the 2 raw feeding Yahoo groups for support from people who have been feeding this way for many years and can tell you how to do it in a no-nonsense manner, without grinding, supplementing, or obsessing about the % every single day.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfcat/

The books are good reading once you feel comfortable doing it the simple way, but IMO reading them early on just leads to your making the whole thing WAAAAY more complicated than it needs to be (and many people find that itís too complicated to stick with). Keeping it Simple really does work better!
I am millions percent agreed with hoof.

I won't continue to read any of the book when the author's recipe talked ground meat, add supplement, and any thing need to add in vegetables...

What I will do for SUPPLEMENT is egg yolk and wild salmon oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page