Ship to Canada? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Ship to Canada?

Gah! I'm seriously considering switching Skooma to a raw diet (preferably whole prey... eventually with maybe the occasional frankenprey for difference) and have already begun the transfer to a %100 wet diet (need to find out if my pet stores carry %95 EVO wet) BUT

after searching the threads on raw feeding and finding distributors online, etc. I still can't be sure they ship to Canada. The first one... um.. rodentpro.com doesn't, hare-today.com doesn't say so I sent an inquiry, and prey4pets.com says it ships 'nationwide' from the U.S yet my sleep-deprived brain can't remember if that means 'North America' or 'U.S.A'... Besides, prey4pets doesn't have a large selection compared to hare-today.

So, anyone know of a place with a good reputation/uses it themselves that ships to Canada? Hopefully situated IN Canada so those ever-plaguing shipping fees don't try to eat my pocketbook.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 07:41 PM
Senior Cat

Re: Ship to Canada?

Have you googled for stuff in Canada? I have a lady near me (London, Ontario) who I believe ships & has rats/mice/ASF.

Great service, lovely people and good prices (especially if you buy bulk!). I also have a guy who gets me whole quail, if you're interested.

http://www.walkersrodents.com/ (& msg me if you want the quail guys email)

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Ah, I haven't googled because I wasn't sure what to type. I'll try it anyways, see what comes up.

Thankies for the link and I did send you a msg!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Okay so I didn't find much, But I did find some.

carnivora.ca sells whole quail and chicken necks and backs. They (amazingly) have a supplier in my town so I'll check it out.

canadianmouseman.com sells mice.

But that's it The rest of the food was ground and some of it had weird ingredients in it. I'm also going to check out a butcher in my town (the other one closed it's doors) and see if I can't convince my dad to save pieces of his hunting trips...

Is it cheaper to purchase mice from a pet store? I would assume no but with all the shipping costs, etc... hmmm...

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 09:43 AM
Senior Cat

Mice from a petstores are rediculous priced. 6 for $10 or something at my PetSmart. If your cat would eat 2 a day, that's $20 every 6 days! Ouch.

I would just contact whomever and see what you can find. I also posted on my local Kijiji and found another locl supplier of rabbits and mice not far from me. Is this an option for you?

Kelly

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Cat

o.o wow, yeah, not cheap at ALL.

I could try posting on my local kijiji/craigslist but Prince George isn't very big... we do have a lot of hunters though, so finding parts might not be too hard. I think there's a chicken farm down the road... somewhere so I could always ask them if they have culls they wanna get rid of.

Hmmm, now what do I post... "looking for local supplier of frozen feeder mice, quail, and/or rabbit"?

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Senior Cat

Yeah, keep your posts minimal. That you're looking for a local breeder of rabbits for meat, or mice/quail/etc for food.

Make sure they have healthy stock. That's super important to me, that the prey items are well kept.

Lucky you have lots of hunters/farmers! Contact as many as possible, get your name out there. Remember to just say "allergic to petstore foods" or they may try to give you crazy advice (or worse). You "make your own food" people will assume you mean cooked.. just let them.

I'd def check outthat chicken farm.. dead chicks, culls, and parts of the chicken they dont use/sell (backs, necks, heads!).

Kelly

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 03:27 PM
Jr. Cat

I know this post was a couple weeks ago, but it took me about 3 months to find mice in my area... and I live in Calgary, which IS big. I eventually just asked around with friends for someone to give me the number of someone they know in the city who has a snake.

I got in contact with a guy who does, and just asked him where he got feeder mice. (I wanted frozen because it's beyond me to kill a mouse... I've read a couple places where people started breeding mice to have an easy supply of them... I would CRY ALL THE TIME.)

he gave me a couple places in town and then one place that delivers, but in ALL my exhaustive internet research, I didn't discover ANY of those places. so I'd definitely try to get it touch with someone who would have a use for feeder mice.. and they'll probably have all the inside scoop you need!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I already ordered off canadianmouseman.com (cheap prices) but finding meat has been rather hard. Fortunately, when I went to the butchers and asked for organs they referred me to a local slaughterhouse... that is right by my neighbourhood. Yay! Buying in bulk is cheap, too, and my dad is a hunter and knows other hunters... So I'm all set right now.

I only know one person with a snake... I have no idea where they get their feeders...

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Banned

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page