Success! Sorta... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Success! Sorta...

Okay, so this morning I went to town and picked up some hoppers and medium mice from one of our local pet stores (whew, expensive tho) and set some hoppers out to thaw. I came back from school and immediately tried to entice Skooma into eating one.

Unfortunately, the first try was rather sad so I cut it partway in half. Nope, still nothing. Determined, I got out some chicken breasts that I had thawed in the fridge just for this (yeah, I don't plan on eating them, thank yew very much) and sprinkled the juice all over the mouse. Well, she licked it but that was it. So, biting down my squeamishness, I gutted the thing, pulling almost all it's insides out and managed to procure a large meat piece. I offered the now bloody and bare front half of the mouse and she began to lick, then bite, then eat! She ate the guts, the front half, and the meat! But she left the bottom half... I geuss I'll hafta work on that.

But I'm sooo proud! I don't know if it's cuz she was a barn cat before or what but it's a small step to a full raw diet! Now I just gotta try the med mousies... I suppose they'll be easier to gut which means the tasty meat parts might be easier to get to...

I offered her a second one but all she could think of was "OMG DEAD TOY" and proceeded to try to lose it under every single appliance and piece of furniture...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 09:56 AM
Senior Cat

Re: Success! Sorta...

*LOL* I can just see her saying "OMG DEAD TOY!". I think had you let her play with it more, she would have eaten it on her own! Cats do that with their real catches too, once they're have some to eat. Gross little buggers, their moms always told them TO play with their food, not like our moms.. "Dont play with it, EAT IT". Hehehe

Hopefully your next mouse-try gets gulped! Maybe try feeding her the mice in a smaller area so she cant lose it under the couch/stove? A bathroom or bedroom?

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Banned

You're on your way. It just takes time. Mine played w/ the mice at first, but once they figured it out they went to town. Remember that cats unaccustomed to having to actually use their jaws will have to build up jaw strength -- at first, a cornish game hen quarter will exhaust them and they'll give up. I just kept on offering more challenging food interspersed w/ easier meals. Calvin now disappears 1/2 quail in a heart-stopping 45 seconds. LOL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Cat

This morning (after letting her stew without a buffet) I offered her the second mouse and she gulped it right up. The third as well! They have to be cut in half so she doesn't play with it...

@Muzby: Cats playing with mice are hilarious, flinging it violently everywhere. Unfortunately, the place I'm renting is weird that way. It's a little 400 square feet shack that my dad built for us to live in while the house was being built. I ended up getting the 'Chalet' as we call it. However, because it's not a real house... everywhere is gaps, holes, etc. The bathroom is raised off the floor so the pipes don't freeze (no floor insulation and no foundation) which results in a loverly place for kitties to hide their toys and plenty of holes to run in and out of when playing 'lion stalker'. The bedroom has no doorway and so has no door. *sigh* I'll try giving her a non-cut mouse to fling around... maybe my squeamishness won't kick in then.

@hoofmaiden: Right, I'll remember that! I suppose if she can't munch on a medium mouse I'll stick with the smaller versions for now.

Wow, that's amazing... I fear for all the dead quail out there. Did you have a stopwatch and everything?

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 04:03 PM
Banned

Move up to adults as soon as you can. Immature animals do not have the same nutritional profile as adults--adults are more nutritious.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Gah, I really hope her small mouth doesn't have issues with the med. mice then... Gah, it doesn't say how old they are on the package. How old are 'adult' mice? And how big? The med's are... um.. maybe an inch long not including tail.

Oh, right, and my other question is; do mice have an expiry date? I'm keeping them in the freezer but if I order bulk I don't want to have rotting mouse and throw the rest out.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarkingPup
Gah, I really hope her small mouth doesn't have issues with the med. mice then... Gah, it doesn't say how old they are on the package. How old are 'adult' mice? And how big? The med's are... um.. maybe an inch long not including tail.
Oh, goodness. She's a cat, right? My Jonah was eating adult mice at 8 weeks of age. The large mice are 2" or so. The websites should have more detail.
Quote:
Oh, right, and my other question is; do mice have an expiry date? I'm keeping them in the freezer but if I order bulk I don't want to have rotting mouse and throw the rest out.
If it's frozen how can it rot? There is no "expiry date" on meat for animals. I've happily fed my dogs and cats 8 year old venison off Craigslist.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoofmaiden
Oh, goodness. She's a cat, right? My Jonah was eating adult mice at 8 weeks of age. The large mice are 2" or so. The websites should have more detail.
Admittedly, sometimes I wonder. Well, she can't be beat by some little upstart! Hurry, Skooma, munch like the wind!

Quote:
If it's frozen how can it rot? There is no "expiry date" on meat for animals. I've happily fed my dogs and cats 8 year old venison off Craigslist.
Well, never mind then. I'll fill up the freezer in no time. Thanks for you help, I'm such a newb

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page