questions in mice - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

questions in mice

I want to try mice but my girlfriend doesn't because there is the possibility of a mess on the carpet of them tearing the mice apart and trying to play with them...and I really dont want to give up my security deposit so I was just wondering what experience everyone has had here with mice and the mess involved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Banned

Re: questions in mice

Honestly, they just aren't that messy. My cats played w/ them the first few times (which isn't messy b/c they are tossing them around before eating them--once they start eating they stop playing), and then stopped. They now get right down to business.

It's a pretty simple matter to just feed the cat in an area w/ a vinyl or tile floor if you're really concerned about mess. This applies to all raw feeding, not just mice (mice are actually neater in my experience b/c they come in a fur package ). My cats eat in the bathroom (Jonah), the storeroom (Lincoln) and the dining room (Calvin). The first 2 rooms have tile floors; the dining room has a hardwood floor.

Some folks put the food in the bathtub and train the cat to keep it there, or on a towel or plastic tablecloth. Others feed their cats in large crates w/ no bedding. I started out all finnicky myself and then got over it. But if it bothers you just find a place that's easy for you to keep clean.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Lol well new problem has been presented she doesnt want to feed them anything with a face lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Banned

Well, I get that. I'm vegan myself (for ethical reasons) so the whole transition to raw was hard enough. Adding mice was almost more than I could bear.

But here's the thing. You're feeding animals with faces anyway even when you're feeding commercial food -- they've just been sanitized and put into a bad so you can't see them. I figure that, by feeding raw, I'm controlling the sources at least, and that's got to be better for everyone. If you live w/ carnivores, feeding meat is simply a fact of life. It makes no difference if that meat came from a cow, a mouse, a pig, a deer, or a chicken.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 01:12 PM
Premier Cat

Sorry ... about to go waaaaaay off-topic here.

I've had to laugh because every time I see this topic, it makes me think of Chinese Fortune Cookies ... and that now there are 'questions' inside of mice for kitty meals!
See? I told you it was way off topic!

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Banned

LOL! Well, I'm sure that wouldn't add much to the kitties' enjoyment. Mine, smart as they are, can't read.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Yeah it was meant to be on not in but I accidently hit the i key instead of the o. Her issue is that she doesnt want to see them eat the head...although I could just chop the head off...I'll need a small guillotine just for ceremony then. Oh and ended up telling a customer about raw food and she seemed very interested but my first thoughts after that were "yes join the dark side...your animals will eat raw flesh "
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Banned

She will eventually. Lincoln used to refuse to eat the heads -- I just let the dogs in when Lincoln was done and they, um, cleaned up for me. But he eats everything now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page