How Much To Feed? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Cat

How Much To Feed?

Skooma is still a kitten, technically (9 months) and I'm not sure how much to feed her. I know she has plenty of time for growing so the suggestion of 3% and 2% kinda don't apply. I don't want her gaining too much weight especially since she's kinda pudgy right now. So, how much do I feed kittens? Do they need a limit? Do I feed her whenever she's hungry?

In grams, btw, the whole ounce thing makes no sense to me. Oh, and she's 2.180kg and currently eating around... uh.. I think it was 84g or something...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 08:45 AM
Senior Cat

Re: How Much To Feed?

I think you can safely feed her 10% of her kitten weight until about a year, then she may stop eating so much. Or you can stop her. Or 2-3% of her adult weight.. but she's super tiny, isn't she?

I may just stick with the old 5-8oz (sorry!!) a day thing.. when I get home, I'll convert that for you. LOL Or you can Google a conversion thing? That's what I usually do.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Banned

Jonah's 6 mos now. He's still getting 3 meals a day b/c he seems to want/need that much and it also helps him settle at night to have a bedtime snacky. I'm not a big weigher, but he's getting approximately this a day:

AM: 2 adult mice
PM: 1 adult mouse, biggish chunk of venison (2 oz??), small piece of liver
Bedtime: 5 chicken hearts

AM: 1/2 quail
PM: 3 oz or so of pork, piece of kidney
Bedtime: Venison chunk

My basic goal is to feed him until he doesn't want more at each meal. Occasionally he leaves something, which means I gave him too much. Occasionally he still seems a little hungry afterwards, and then I give him more the next meal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Cat

@Muzby: Yes, Skooma is still itty bitty. I don't know if she'll ever get to be the normal cat size that she should be...

@hoofmaiden: He certainly eats a lot 0.o I don't know if it's cuz she's so small but Skooma definitely doesn't eat like that!

Lessee... at the moment she's eating two and a half around 24g mice a meal. Two meals a day... so, um.. around 60g a meal so 120g a day... I think... My math sucks. That would translate to 4.215 ounces... It seems to be enough for her because she doesn't eat the entire third mouse so I save it for the later meal. I'm worried she's not eating enough, though...

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 04:46 PM
Tom Cat

I would say that is plenty. Mak is 13 lbs (an adult, obviously!) and he eats 118g/day. At 9 months, Skooma doesn't need to eat the "2-3x an adult cat would eat" that a 3 month old kitten needs.

Imo, if she still seems hungry after you finish, give her more.. If she doesn't, then don't. I'm sure she'll let you know if she needs more!

If anyone asks, I'm studying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page