Started raw diet today - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Started raw diet today

...but still confused about how much to feed exactly? I have to 8 month old cats who weigh around 8 pounds. Is it OK if I just randomly give them some heart, some liver (or any other organs) and some bones? Then if they finish all of it (I know when my cats are still hungry) give them some more? Or if they leave some then remember to give them less? If it's ABSOLUTELY necessary to measure it then I have a 6 oz can of canned food, can I just use that as a measurement tool?

I'm getting these meats from my grocery store. Supplements aren't necessary right? If they are then I can mix in some Wellness canned food, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Banned

Re: Started raw diet today

I just posted some info, including links, at the bottom of this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=66009

Heart, liver, and bones is not an appropriate diet.

For 8 month kittens, feed 2X a day. I would assume this kitty will weigh 10 pounds when full grown, and feed accordingly. Here is the calculator:

http://www.hare-today.com/feed.php?osCs ... ace1235a9d

Inputting 10 pounds at 2%, I get 3.2 oz, or at 3%, 4.8 oz. That is a DAY -- divide in half and feed 1/2 2x a day.

See all the links I posted in above thread, and other info.
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Can you elaborate on the heart, liver and bones not being appropriate? I thought heart counted as a muscle meat and liver counted as the organ. I know you feed only 5% liver and the other 5% should be another organ such as kidney. And then 10% bones. So if I feed 80% chicken breast, beef or turkey meat, 5% chicken liver, 5% chicken kidney and 10% chicken wings, that should be alright?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlady2010
Can you elaborate on the heart, liver and bones not being appropriate? I thought heart counted as a muscle meat and liver counted as the organ. I know you feed only 5% liver and the other 5% should be another organ such as kidney. And then 10% bones. So if I feed 80% chicken breast, beef or turkey meat, 5% chicken liver, 5% chicken kidney and 10% chicken wings, that should be alright?
Heart is a fine muscle meat. It just sounded as if that was the only muscle meat you planned to feed. You want variety as mucy as possible.

What you state above is probably going to be fine for starters. Over time you'll tweak it and branch out. Organ meat is most likely to cause the runs in new rawfed cats, so go easy on it for the first few weeks. It will also take your cat time to develop jaw strength and although they are young, they ARE used to commercial food, so they may not just launch right in.

I prefer quail or cornish game hen over chicken, bone-wise, but wings and necks are doable for cats. Make sure you don't get "enhanced" chicken--many wing packages are. That means that "broth" has been added, which means way too much sodium. Not good for them and will result in GI tract problems. The label should say 80mg per serving of sodium or less.
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Cool Cat

If I were you I'd go get get a scale. It doesn't have to be expensive, just has to measure in ounces (or grams).

Then you need ton know how much to feed which I'll outline here.
So going by two percent, each day should consist of about 3.2 ounces of food.
So each day the cat needs
2.56 ounces of meat
.32 ounces of bone
.16 ounces of liver
.16 ounces of kidney

BUT if you are like me and don't want to feed bone and organ every day you can take the amount of bone and organ you need in one WEEK and divide that into as many meals as you want. So you may only give liver 4 times in the week but you'll be giving the proper amount. So in one week you'd feed:
17.92 ounces of meat
2.24 ounces of bone
1.12 ounces of liver
1.12 ounces of kidney

So get those amounts and then divide them up for the week. So long as in those 7 days the cat consumes those amounts of those things the diet should be balanced. You can't just feed randomly because you might give too much of one aspect (meat) and not enough of another (kidney for instance).

I would also go buy some fish oil (not cod liver oil) and put a bit of that on the meat a few times a week. It is an omega 3 fatty acid which keeps the omega 3's and 6's balanced.

Feed as many kinds of meat as possible, chicken, beef, quail, venison, turkey, pork, rabbit lamb, etc. And feed from different parts too, chicken breast is different from chicken thighs. Heart counts as meat, not organ (because it's a muscle) when feeding this diet.

For bones chicken wings are great, chicken ribs are great, rabbit bones are good, most/all cornish hen bones are perfect.

Organs can come from any species.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you want, if anything I said is confusing please tell me so I can clarify.
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Siameseifuplz~
So going by three percent, each meal should be about 3.2 ounces.
So each day the cat needs
2.56 ounces of meat
.32 ounces of bone
.16 ounces of liver
.16 ounces of kidney
Do you mean each meal or each day? Should be each day, right? And 3% of 10 pounds is 4.8 oz a day (2.4 oz a meal).
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 03:58 PM
Jr. Cat

I feed my cats as much as they want and as often as I can. They are 1.5 years old persians, and persians are supposed to be massive and heavy, also they are extremely picky/spoiled and often just will eat too little or none at all, especially if it's not the food they like "today". And none of them would ever touch commercial food, whether dry or canned.

I never had any scale and never weighed any food and they mainly get beef, other stuff they get eventually, not often at all - they may eat a few pieces of turkey hearts or gizzards or may not eat it at all, and they are not crazy about chicken (once in a while just a little) and not crazy about organs.

I tried to supplement their diet with cat vitamin paste or cat vitamins - one of them would eat it but the other wouldn't touch it including food if I tried to sprinkle it or mix it with ground bison for example.

I give them Bounce treats every night - 20 very small pieces for each, those are the only treats they like (wouldn't touch other treats including Bounce treats but different shape), so I hope they at least get some of the essential nutrients they need. At least they are active and healthy and have no poop/whatever problems - fingers crossed.

I don't think that any of us gets perfectly nutritionally balanced food every day or even every week, doesn't matter how hard we try, so I don't think it's that necessary to keep cats diet very close to perfection.

But my hat is off to those who weigh and pack and measure and keep the ratio

My cats are 1.5 years old now but personally I consider 8 months old kitties "kittens" and would feed them often and as much as they can eat. I usually put meat and take the rest of from their dishes it back to fridge in 30 minutes or so.
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa
I never had any scale and never weighed any food and they mainly get beef, other stuff they get eventually, not often at all - they may eat a few pieces of turkey hearts or gizzards or may not eat it at all, and they are not crazy about chicken (once in a while just a little) and not crazy about organs..
How are they getting bone?
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Jr. Cat

They would eat turkey necks but not a lot, so I do try to pack just a little and give it to them. One cat may eventually eat a very little piece of chicken wing or game hen - the rest usually goes to garbage. I tried rabbit a few times - none of them would touch it - not meat and not bones, doesn't matter whether I cut or crash or smack or whatever. Last time my bf paid $30+ for a rabbit to make them happy and it all went to waste... they said "no" .

So they almost get no bones.... and I'm not going to kill myself over that terrible issue . They don't have problems with poop (and they are show persians with VERY long and light fur on their bottoms, so this is VERY important for me )... but eventually I give them cottage cheese from russian store (no salt), and eventually they eat it.

And I have bone meal - they wouldn't even approach to any food if I add it to the food... another $20 went to waste
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Do you mean each meal or each day? Should be each day, right? And 3% of 10 pounds is 4.8 oz a day (2.4 oz a meal).
woops, yeah that was a mistake, I'll go fix it, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page