Cat constipated? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Cat constipated?

My cat Memo didn't have a bowel movement today. His brother did though. His activity is normal and everything and he's eating great. He did vomit just a little this morning, it had a pretty big chunk of bone it in it from last night's chicken wings and had quite a bit hair. I'm thinking it's because he grooms his brother who has very long hair. However, he's never vomited before and he always grooms his brother. But I'm not concerned about the vomit. It wasn't really my first time introducing them to bones yesterday. The night before I wanted to see if they would eat the bones from a drumstick and they did eat quite a bit but they also had bowel movements after that. Then the night after that I gave them each half a chicken wing and they ate all of it. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with that? It's unusual for him to not have a BM all day. I didn't give them any bones today just in case. I only scooped up the litter box once today and it was such a small amount It's not like they keep going to the litter box and try to discharge themselves and they are definitely not in pain as far as I can tell. They're running around like maniacs, in fact. Maybe the boneless meals all day will help? The bone content last night was just so small, it was literally half a chicken wing for each cat. I'm wondering if it still had an effect somehow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 06:10 AM
Cool Cat

Re: Cat constipated?

How long have you been feeding raw? Since switching to raw Willie poops every three days or so, instead of every day.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

A week ago. Every three days? Woah. That's normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 08:22 AM
Tom Cat

Yep, same with my 2. Poop about every 3 days and there is much less odor.

A lot of what contributes to the mass of stool and the stink are all the fillers/undigestables in commercial food.

Raw eliminates those contents, thereby reducing the amount and frequency of poop!!

-BP
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 10:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlady2010
It wasn't really my first time introducing them to bones yesterday. The night before I wanted to see if they would eat the bones from a drumstick and they did eat quite a bit but they also had bowel movements after that. Then the night after that I gave them each half a chicken wing and they ate all of it. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with that?
This is WAY too much bone. The ratio you're shooting for, fed over time, is 80-85% meat, 5-10% bone, and 10% organ (half of which must be liver). 5-10% bone is VERY little, really. Chicken wings (with skin on) are 46% bone; drumsticks (with skin) are 33% bone! That means that if you feed bone-in chicken for a meal, you then need to follow that up with at least 2-4 BONELESS meals to make up for the amount of bone you just fed. Additionally, chicken bone is really on the big side for cats. This is one reason why I prefer quail or cornish game hen--it's still the same % of bone to meat, approximately, but at least the bone is smaller and more species-appropriate.

While there is no reason to restrict yourself to MEAT that comes from an animal a cat could not bring down out in the real world, IMO there are a lot of good reasons to restrict yourself to BONE that comes from animals a cat could conceivably kill on his/her own. Quail is the size of a bird a cat could kill--cornish game hen is on the upper end of that range. Most cats would get the tar beat out of them by a chicken.

So I recommend considering switching to smaller-boned bone-in meat and, whether you do that or not, NEVER feed 2 bone-in meals in a row and try to separate them by several meals. I.e.:

Day 1-- AM: 1/2 quail PM: venison and a little liver
Day 2 --AM: venison PM: boneless pork and a little kidney
Day 3:--AM: beef heart PM: 1/2 quail and a little liver

And so on. Hope that helps!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Banned

Just wanted to add that yes, they will poop less often, but once in 3 days seems a little too infrequent. I get approx. 2 poops per day out of 3 cats.

I suspect this is a combo of the natural rawfed-cat-pooping-less-often and the fact that you're feeding a lot of bone.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Yeah I figured it was too much. Thanks for clarifying. She did finally poop today though. While I'm unable to find quail and forbidden to bring any frozen mice in the house (my parents), I have the option of feeding cornish game hen. When I was feeding then CGH, I divided it into four pieces and each piece would be a whole meal, with a side dish of either liver or kidney.

Here is my plan for the next few days:
Today: AM: Boneless beef with kidney PM: Half a chicken wing with liver
Sat: AM: Boneless turkey with kidney PM: Boneless chicken with liver
Sun: AM: Boneless beef with kidney PM: 1/4 cornish game hen with liver

All the liver and kidneys have been measured and divided to feed 7 days a week. I guess after feeding the bone-in meat like chicken wings, I'd have to wait 2 to 3 meals before feeding bone again. Please let me know if this is a good meal plan. Still trying to find venison, quail, and rabbit! I guess the venison is a rarity so I will have to feed them EVO 95% venison canned food as a treat because they love venison. The quail and rabbit I'm sure I will find if I keep looking around.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Banned

That sounds good. CGH hen is fine -- if you want to try to find quail, look at Asian or Mexican groceries. That's where I get mine (6 for $6!--that's 12 meals!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page