Cat is on raw but has been throwing it up! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Cat is on raw but has been throwing it up!

My 3 cats have been on the raw diet for the last few weeks. However, my littlest one has been throwing up her meals the last 3 days. Every raw piece she eats comes up 15 minutes later. I don't know if she is having problems digesting the raw meat now or what. I fed her some canned food and she ate it just fine without puking (i know canned isnt good but my eldest cat had fatty liver and i am absolutely obsessed that all three cats eat their meals now). I'm going to give her canned for the next few days but I don't know what could be the problem with her and the raw food all of a sudden.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 01:18 AM
Senior Cat

Re: Cat is on raw but has been throwing it up!

What type of meat was it? Some cats are allergic to specific types of meat.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Chicken breast...she has had it for the last few weeks now though so I wouldn't think she is allergic but I'm not sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 05:12 AM
Jr. Cat

is it really cold? some cats throw up if their meat is served too cold.. or eat too much.. or eat too fast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 08:01 AM
Cool Cat

What euphoria said^^^
Many cats will upchuck cold meat and many cats will eat way too fast and then throw up. If those are not problems then try a different type of meat, like pork or beef. Is she still going to the bathroom normally and everything?

But there is nothing wrong with a high quality canned food so don't feel bad for that
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 10:08 AM
Tom Cat

Yeah, my cats are doing the same Don't think I'll be feeding raw anymore. Will try one more time tonight and if it happens again I'm going back to the high quality canned food. I know my meat wasn't cold for sure. It seems like there are a lot of benefits but there are too many risks involved. And my cats aren't toys where I can just play with their health. I will punish myself for the rest of my life if something happens to them like a bacterial infection. OK maybe I am overreacting. But yeah, I'll try one more time.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 01:06 PM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlady2010
Yeah, my cats are doing the same Don't think I'll be feeding raw anymore. Will try one more time tonight and if it happens again I'm going back to the high quality canned food. I know my meat wasn't cold for sure. It seems like there are a lot of benefits but there are too many risks involved. And my cats aren't toys where I can just play with their health. I will punish myself for the rest of my life if something happens to them like a bacterial infection. OK maybe I am overreacting. But yeah, I'll try one more time.
If you go into raw thinking like those last few sentences, it won't work. I think perhaps you are best served forgetting the raw and sticking to the canned. Sometimes, we set ourselves up to fail by thinking negatively. It truly happens! Don't feel bad, just stay with the best foods you can.

And just so you know... I do not think my cats are toys either. That I "play with their health".. infact, I feed the best thing out there (raw) because I know that it is the BEST for their health.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I'm not sure if it's too cold. It is definitely possible. I usually just take it out of the fridge, cut it up, and give it to her. (or sometimes i put it in warm water to thaw and give it to her). I could try leaving it out a little longer so it warms up a little. I definitely think she could be eating too fast but I'm not sure how I can control it. I changed all three cat meal portions to three times a day to help the eating too fast problem. My other kitten threw up bc she ate too fast and she hasnt done it since. But the little kitten hasn't really figured it out not to eat too quick yet. I've just been giving her some canned food (which she is also eating like there is no tomrw). I feed the cats regularily so I'm not sure why shes so eager to feast. (I feed her 3% a day...she isnt actually a kitten I just call her one)
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 04:39 PM
Senior Cat

How old are they.. maybe I missed that. if they are super young, maybe try feeding them even more often, if possible? Or if you sit and watch them, maybe you can give meat on a bone (like a leg, so they cant eat the boney part but work at getting the meat off?).

Kelly

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 07:14 PM
Tom Cat

Muzby, I'm not saying you're playing with your cat's life. I am so sorry if that sounded like what I was saying! I know people on here ESPECIALLY care about their cats very deeply. Otherwise you wouldn't have done it in the first place! I am just still iffy about it since I recently started. But you know, there still IS a chance cats can get bacterial infections and other illnesses regardless of the numerous benefits raw food offers. Of course, many vets say the benefits outweigh the risks. But it's still like taking a risk, somehow. I typed that RIGHT after I saw them vomit and was freaking out. And also saw bones in one of their stools as well. I just gave them their raw chicken dinner and they seem to be doing fine for now though. And also got off the phone with my vet who told me to "keep an eye on them" - and I was like "oh man, I didn't have to keep an eye on them when I fed them EVO." I'm just being all negative right now but that's only because of all the articles and some of the vets I've been talking to at the humane society I volunteer at who told me that it's very beneficial but they personally wouldn't do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page