Noticed something weird this morning - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Noticed something weird this morning

One of my cats who was fed a little piece of chicken wings yesterday had a soft stool this morning and also there were small pieces of bones in his stool as well. I'm thinking that maybe he's not chewing all of it and just swallowing some of it up? I do hear him chew it and he does it pretty well but I guess he accidentally swallows some of it. Is it true that bones can puncture their intestines? He seems fine. He's running around and his brother seems fine too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Senior Cat

Re: Noticed something weird this morning

Hmmm, Im a little worried about bone too - though I havent seen any in her stool, she really likes bone and sometimes eats a little too much. Im hoping that the skin on the meat might provide some sort of protection the way ingested fur apparently does in the wild.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Senior Cat

Sounds like he's just not digesting it properly. That it came out soft, too, indicates maybe his tummy is having issues. I'd suggest Slippery Elm powder and/or probiotic added to his daily regime for 2 weeks to help him acclimate. We've never had boney bits in the stool in 2+ yrs of raw.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Jr. Cat

are you VERY new to raw? I know that for some things, the body, and I would assume your cat's, will actually adapt to diet.

I used to eat a LOT of meat (I know I know.) and as a result my stomach started producing a more acidic version of stomach acid, which gave me horrible heartburn all the time. my naturopath just told me to cut down on the meat, and it solved itself within a few weeks.

so I think it might be possible that if this is one of the first times kitty has had bones, his body might not be producing everything it needs to fully digest them as quickly as his super fast cat digestion "outputs" them.

I wouldn't worry too too much about a soft stool.. it's a huge diet change, and unexpected "results" might very well pop up in the beginning until kitty gets used to it. I struggled a lot when I first started raw with freaking out about every little thing.. cat sneezes, oh no! cat gets runny poos, oh no! cat seems tired, oh no! but as I get used to doing the diet, everything seems like less of a big deal.. I mean, sometimes I eat totally normal things, and they don't make ME feel good, so I'm sure the same thing happens to cats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Banned

Cats don't chew up the bone more than enough to get it down -- it digests in the GI tract. So if you are seeing bone in the stool, chances are you're feeding too much of it. Bone only needs to be 5-10% of the overall diet, and chicken wings are about 40% bone, so that's a lot. This is why I prefer to feed smaller bone (quail or cornish game hen) and only every 3rd or 4th meal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page