Liver Trouble! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Liver Trouble!

She wont eat liver! Shes fine with bones, skin, heart etc, but she wont touch the liver. I started off with the other stuff cut up in small pieces in her favorite wet food, and it worked well each time after a few days, but not the liver. Ive picked out most of the liver so theres only a few very small thin scraps but she still wont touch any of the food and hasnt eaten all day. How important is liver? What to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 05:47 PM
Banned

Re: Liver Trouble!

Try putting it in with her favourite food. Or if she likes chewing on wings, cut small pieces and stuff it INSIDE the wing. Anything to "trick" her to eat it so that at least she'll try~
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Ive tried all that, sadly...Ive seen that she doesnt need to see it, she can smell the liver a mile off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 07:33 PM
Senior Cat

Have you tried cooking it at first? Then slowly leave it raw-er and less cooked.

Parmesan cheese might disguise the smell, or tuna juice!

Our cats love dehydrated liver treats.. maybe you could try those too?

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Ill try cooking it a bit. Frying?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:52 AM
Senior Cat

Searing sounds less greasy.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Banned

Yes -- just sear the outside, let cool, and feed. Gradually you'll have to do this less and less and then not at all. Liver is ESSENTIAL, so you do need to get her eating it. If she really won't, one option is freeze-dried liver treats (containing NOTHING but liver--no other ingredients). But that's not as good as plain old raw liver, so don't give up yet!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Ok, will do. Thanks!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 03:23 AM
Jr. Cat

I'm having the exact same problem with my girl... she hates liver. She wouldn't even try it for the past two days - today she finally did, ate a couple pieces (I had to dice them up in order for her to even give them the time of day) and that was it. She didn't touch it again after that, and even seemed depressed after eating it.

I have no idea what to do! I tried sprinkling cat nip, dousing it in her favourite canned food gravy and mixing it with chicken (her favourite). All she did was lick up the gravy and gobble down the chicken, leaving the liver untouched. I'm getting desperate here cause she needs to start on the liver - she's fine with everything else.

I'm going to be shopping around reptile pet shops looking for frozen whole prey because that may be the only option right now! Let's hope she takes to that.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 09:36 AM
Banned

See above. Try lightly searing it or feeding it still semi-frozen. They MUST have liver (not negotiable) so keep working on it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page