adding mice! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

adding mice!

I FINALLY found a source of frozen (or live.. but I'm really not comfortable with that.) feeder mice in my area, and I'm going to order some at this paycheque... but as I look through the website, I realize "I have no idea how to add mice to the current model I've got going."

does anyone like a certain age of mice best? my options seem to be "pinkies, fuzzies, hoppers, medium, adult, jumbo"

do you get several kinds and switch them up, or do you always feed just a regular adult (that seems to make sense to me, but I've for sure heard people say they were giving their cats pinkies before too... just a transition or treat?)

they also day old chicks, hamsters, and rats in several sizes. and rabbit, though rabbit seems a bit expensive...

also, because a mouse contains his insides.. do I need to estimate how much his secreting organs weigh and remove that from my frankenprey model when I give him mice? a mouse seems like he would be a large percentage of bone too.. does anyone know that percent?

cats probaly won't get more than a couple mousies a week, as they are $1.16 each for the adult ones, which is one of the more expensive meats I will have (a quail is cheaper.. how does that make sense?) but I think they'd be a great, easy addition to the diet.

so, anyone have any advice?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 04:15 PM
Cool Cat

Re: adding mice!

I don't feed mice as of now but from what I've gathered:
Feed adult mice as much as possible, these have the proper percentages of meat, bones, and organs. Younger animals are fed in transition or as treats here and there.
All the other species should be great as well, just remember that immature animals like day old chicks should not be the bulk of the diet.

Consider a mouse a completely balanced meal, it does not have too much of one thing over another, it is perfect. So you will not have to feed extra of anything to make up for what the mouse didn't give. I would not worry bout being perfect with the organs, if he eats three mice in a week subtract about 3 meals worth of liver (assuming each mouse is a meal, if it's two meals then subtract 6 meals worth).
So simply take however much liver you feed in a week and divide it by 14 (assuming you feed two meals a day). That is the amount that would be fed at each meal (if you were trying to balance every single meal). Then subtract a meals worth of liver for each meal taken up by a mouse meal (as long as the cat eats the organ). it doesn't have to be perfect.

I hope your cats enjoy them!
It really is a shame that they're so expensive, it's not like they are hard to breed and raise.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Banned

I would start w/ a few pinkies. Once the kitty is comfy w/ those, move up to hoppers or small mice, then large. It's mostly a matter of jaw strength and understanding that this package is FOOD. Once they figure that out, they're all about it.

I feed mice every 3rd meal or so. So I add liver/kidney a few times a week only, since I'm feeding organ w/ the mice, and I add those to the non-mouse meals.

My baby cat, Jonah (6.5 mos) and my big guy (Lincoln, 12 years and a very large-boned cat) get 2 adult mice per meals; Calvin, who is an easy keeper, gets 1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Siameseifuplz~
It really is a shame that they're so expensive, it's not like they are hard to breed and raise.
They're really not that expensive if you order them.

http://www.americanrodent.com/

Even when not on sale they are about .50 each. If on sale, often more like .37 each. Most adult cats won't need more than 3 a day tops.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

ah yes, but I'm in canada, where things are either double the price, or will be by the time you get it shipped up here!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Banned

I thought you guys had found Canadian suppliers -- I'm sure people have reptiles in Canada -- there simply MUST be equivalent suppliers there.

Siameseifuplz was the one saying they were pricey, anyway -- she's not in Canada, is she?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I'm not overly happy with any of the prices i can find.. OR the shipping options, really.. there's a local supplier here who is a little more expensive, but will at least deliver to my place for free, so I don't have to taxi to the airport just to pick up the mice.. I think canadian mouseman might be worth the order if you order like.. 200+ meeses at once, but I just want to get a few first to see if boy (possibly boys) will eat them at all, and their shipping is quite exorbitant to my mind to make a smaller order.

regardless though, I'm willing to pay a bit pricey for them, and they're not THAT expensive, I could always cancel my gym membership I NEVER use if I was in a crunch for money, spoiling my kitties isn't going to break the bank.

Siameseifuplz.. some people I know with snakes raise their own mice because it's expensive to buy feeders... and you can raise them for pennies, but I think that's beyond my ability to kill a little mousie, I think they're very cute, except for their tails, and I wouldn't be able to kill one at all. I always had to shoo them out of the house with a broom like a lady in a old sitcom, because I hate the idea of traps.

okeedokee then, I'll order a "variety pack" of mice to start, and I hope this goes well.. in general do people's cat's love mice? is it pretty easy to get them to eat them? my cat when I was younger used to catch mice, just eat their heads, and then leave there bodies around for someone to step on, more often then not, but I never saw her actually eat one.. ate birds though.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 08:47 PM
Cat

Canadianmouseman is cheap. I ordered 200 sub-adults and 500 adults for five hundred dollars and that'll last me a looooong time.

What I did is cut the hopper in half and offer Skooma the meaty side. She did the curious sniff and I shoved it in her face. She backed away, startled, licked her lips and a lightbulb went off. She immediately started to wolf them down. Of course, Skooma's been pretty easy in everything, from litterbox to scratching post to raw food so not sure how else you could try...

You could try to pull out a chunk of meat from the mouse and offer is separate. That's how the second mouse meal went, but as soon as she got the meat she started licking and eating the open bits of the mouse... It helps to start them on 'meals' instead of buffet as well. Especially for mice. Because the first thing your cat will see is OMG DEAD TOY and start flinging it around, cut up or not. However, if they're hungry they'll settle down to munch instead of play.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

haha, just poked her in the face eh? yeah, I agree, with that big of an order, it will be worth it, but I really don't want to be stuck with 700 mice and no one to eat them, so I'll get something local to start and then I'll do a big order later on.

did you drive out to the airport to get them, or did you get them done air canada and then UPS? how was that for cost? I don't drive myself, my boyfriend will, but our schedules are kind of hard to get together on a daily basis, so I was hoping to somehow get the mice here.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 09:44 PM
Cat

That's how I get her to eat anything! I also feed them on flat plates (biiiig plate) with a little raised edge. It heightens the mystery of the food and appeals to their curiosity. It also means no whisker touching or food on face.

Well, he's in Alberta and I'm in BC so it's not much of a shipping thar. BUT when I checked for the flying apparently they only fly to Vancouver because P.G doesn't have the proper airport... or something? But, anyways, they don't fly here but we do have a greyhound so we're doing it that way.

I haven't got the shipment yet, he needs a week to prepare the order, but I imagine it'll arrive at Greyhound and I'll go pick it up... not sure how Greyhound works... I can't do the door shipping either considering where I live and how people keep getting lost since technically our road doesn't exist. It took them three tries to find our house with two instances of directions the last time I ordered a bird cage...

I also bought locally before ordering the big shipment. But it's reeeeally expensive and after she tried the mice she refused to eat any other cat food... even the Wellness wet so I had to be prepared with some raw meals. She's not to enthusiastic about them either but at least she eats them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page