HORRIBLE smelling urine- is red meat to blame? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

HORRIBLE smelling urine- is red meat to blame?

Hi all,

I was greeted today by the most disgusting cat pee smell I've smelled in a LONG time.

I guess their urine has been a little stinkier, but I didn't think much of it until it whacked me in the face when I walked in today.

I have been feeding some pork/beef, because I got it SUPER cheap. I'd say 3/5 meals for the past week have been red meat (the other being bone-in chicken) not including organ additions.

I'm guessing ET is the culprit. He uses the stinky LB the most. He always pees a ton (although he is ~12lbs), but that is normal for him. Lacey mostly uses the other LB.

Could this be because of the red meat?! I did not notice any "indiscriminate pools" of urine anywhere, although I'm on the lookout.

-BP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 08:24 AM
Senior Cat

Re: HORRIBLE smelling urine- is red meat to blame?

We feed mostly red meat (beef, lamb, heart, etc) and our cats pee hardly smells at all. :S

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 08:33 AM
Cool Cat

I don't feed a ton of red meat but I do feed it as a regular part of the diet and have not had any problems. If it continues you might want a urinalysis done at the vet, just to be sure nothing funky is going on.

The meat's not enhanced or anything, right? Not sure if it would change anything but who knows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Kitten

I feed beef n buffalo, no weird smell on pee, infact great smell on they fur.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Banned

Absolutely NO -- meat certainly doesn't cause stinky pee. It's what they're supposed to eat, after all. Extra concentrated pee is smellier than more dilute pee -- normally you see extra concentrated pee in cats fed kibble, though, b/c they don't get enough moisture. If you're feeding any kibble at all, stop and see if that helps.

Otherwise I would recommend a urinalysis, b/c that's not normal.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Sorry for the late response, but thank you for all of your replies.

I'm very glad to hear that the red meat is not to blame. I'm not sure what was going on that day... but it was terrible.

I also have to admit that the smell was coming from the covered LB. I've never had a problem with it as I am a diligent scooper (and the cats use it as much as the open LB) but I think that is why the smell was at least magnified. The top is now off it, and I haven't noticed any more smell.

I will definitely keep an eye on the cats to make sure nothing is out of the ordinary.

And Elizabeth, they have gotten *no* dry food since they helped themselves, AHH!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 10:55 AM
Banned

Yup -- the covers can really magnify the smell. My "covered" box is a HUGE rubbermaid box w/ a LB inside that (covered only b/c of the dogs), and b/c it's so huge and I scoop it twice a day there's no smell. But I do it twice a day (the other one (uncovered b/c it's safely in a closet) I do once a day.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Tom Cat

I dunno... I don't think the covered litterbox is to blame. I'm notoriously bad at scooping, so I can go 3-4 days without (I know, I know, but I put tons of litter in and Mak doesn't care either way!) and my covered litterbox is right next to my couch (literally... I have a small apartment) and I never smell a thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If anyone asks, I'm studying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page