Bones - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Bones

Just want to make sure I'm doing this right. I'm still a beginner, started less than two weeks ago so just want to make sure. Bones are very confusing for me. I hate feeding them. Sometimes my kittens will eat them, sometimes they won't. It's hard to measure the bones and stuff. Chicken wings, I think, are still too big for them. Today they didn't eat ANY bone at all. Didn't even hear a crunch I don't think they got much bones at ALL this week. I've been soo unorganized with this. I feel like it was really, really unbalanced and I need to start over. Like I was trying to thaw some liver and kidney and my mom randomly gives them ALL of the liver and kidney that was probably suppose to be their organ and liver content for the WEEK. And then my dad likes to feed them chicken drumsticks when I'm not home. And then every time my cats cry, they feed them the dry food I feed the feral colonies! It has been BAD and I need to get more organized if I'm going to do this. OK so they do well with CGH bones. So what I'm doing is I divide the CGH in four pieces and feed each as a whole meal. Each cat gets two pieces throughout the whole week and that's their bone content for the week. I believe it meets the 2.24 oz they are suppose to get for the week. Doesn't it? I feel fine about feeding only two meals with bone within the 14 meals they get in a week (2 meals per day).

I don't have much variety with the muscle meat. I mean, all I feed is beef heart, boneless chicken, beef and turkey. That's about it. Pork is not allowed in my house and neither are mice But I think I found quail at the asian supermarket! So that's a plus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 06:48 PM
Jr. Cat

Re: Bones

I can't tell you for sure with the cornish game hen amount, because I can't find them for cheaper than $8 a piece and therefore have never fed them, but someone else will probably know if that sounds about right.

what I have found makes this a lot easier is to go out, buy a LOT of meat, and bag up meals for about 3 or 4 weeks that are balanced and correct. then I just thaw one at a time, and that's the cat's food. this might make it easier for other people in your family too if you explain it to them.. mark the baggies for the week and day that they're for, and tell them it's all measured and balanced and to only feed them whats in the bag marked for that day that you thawed. then if the cats are hungry, they'll know to just give them the other half or a little piece of the stuff in the baggie, and not resort to dry food or whatever meats are around when you're not there to supervise. the diet isn't overly hard to do, but when you first start it is a bit confusing, and having someone else feeding things here and there I can only think would make me feel more overwhelmed. I usually leave a few chicken hearts thawed if I have them too, because they're like a perfect treat size and cats seem to react like they are QUITE delicious, and high in taurine to boot!

a lot of people don't feed a massive variety... I only do chicken hearts, chicken, beef, beef kidney, quail, and veal liver (because it's the only, young, organic liver I can find.) which isn't any more variety than you're doing.. every now and then cat gets a treat of an interesting meat I find somewhere if I do, but I don't feel like *I* eat much more variety than that. we don't have a deep freeze so I only get meats that are commercially available, and we're in the city, so seeing something like moose or venison here is much rarer than where I'm from.

I also think that chicken wings are too big for my cats, though a lot of people don't and have great success with lots of chicken bones. but I decided they are just outside my comfort zone, and stick to smaller bones for my own piece of mind. I would recommend getting the quail that you found, the quail makes me feel 100% better about bones every time I see them... they're so teensy, and the bones break so easily.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlady2010
Chicken wings, I think, are still too big for them. Today they didn't eat ANY bone at all. Didn't even hear a crunch I don't think they got much bones at ALL this week. I've been soo unorganized with this. I feel like it was really, really unbalanced and I need to start over.
Remember that they only need 5-10% of the diet to be bone. So keep working on it. You say they do well w/ CGH bones, so that's great.
Quote:
Like I was trying to thaw some liver and kidney and my mom randomly gives them ALL of the liver and kidney that was probably suppose to be their organ and liver content for the WEEK. And then my dad likes to feed them chicken drumsticks when I'm not home. And then every time my cats cry, they feed them the dry food I feed the feral colonies!
You're just gonna have to get your parents on board if you're stuck living w/ them. Too much liver can cause vitamin A toxicosis -- perhaps that will scare your mom straight? It ain't pretty. And as long as they feed them stuff you're going to have a hard time getting the cats eating what YOU want them to eat!
Quote:
OK so they do well with CGH bones. So what I'm doing is I divide the CGH in four pieces and feed each as a whole meal. Each cat gets two pieces throughout the whole week and that's their bone content for the week. I believe it meets the 2.24 oz they are suppose to get for the week. Doesn't it? I feel fine about feeding only two meals with bone within the 14 meals they get in a week (2 meals per day).
Mmmm. I would go for more like 4 out of 14 meals, if that is the only bone they're getting.
Quote:
I don't have much variety with the muscle meat. I mean, all I feed is beef heart, boneless chicken, beef and turkey. That's about it. Pork is not allowed in my house and neither are mice But I think I found quail at the asian supermarket! So that's a plus.
Your variety is actually very good, esp. for a newbie. Try to relax. I think your main problem is your PARENTS, LOL. The cats sound fine. You're doing well. Just get the parents in line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thanks guys! I will do four bone meals instead of two. I think my parents were just trying to be nice lol. I talked to them and explained to them that it's not as simple as just throwing in a chunk of raw meat and calling it a day.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 05:59 AM
Kitten

Always try to get your cat eat real bone instead of bone meal if you can.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 09:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by weew
Always try to get your cat eat real bone instead of bone meal if you can.
Bone meal should NEVER be an option. It's full of chemicals. For cats who TRULY won't eat bone, feeding whole ground meat w/ bone ground in (like Hare Today's ground whole rabbit) part of the time and/or adding calcium carbonate powder is a better choice. But it's really VERY seldom that cats won't eat bone. The owner just has to be patient.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Kitten

Yes, agreed. Ground bone definately better then bone meal(that is to fertilise your garden!) Bone contain not just calcium, it have other great nutrition like enzyme and other thing we may not discover. (God created better then what man made)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I worded that wrong lol I don't feed them actual "bone meal." I meant a meal of bones. Hehe sorry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page