Regression - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 119
Regression

We were making great progress, about a month ago, her appetite changed completely when I introduced Salmon Oil.

Now that I've taken it away, she just won't eat raw meat. She may nibble at it here or there, but definately not enough for an entire meal. I've been mixing it with her wet food and she's only licking up the wet.

Has anyone experienced regression? How do you get them back on track? *sigh* It's so frustrating because I've been transitioning both cats since about September/October 09. My younger cat is almost fully on raw (just some wet to taste). But my 7 year old has regressed to barely touching any raw.
igloe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Jr. Cat
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 65
Re: Regression

I'm a little unclear.. did she eat the raw meat with the salmon oil on it fine, and now that it's not there, she won't eat it? or she wouldn't eat the raw meat with the oil, and now she won't even eat it without it?

have you tried changing meats? jango got really bad runs one night and wouldn't touch chicken for almost a month, but he would eat other meats okay... after a few days. he wouldn't touch any raw for like 3 days.. I relented and just didn't attempt to give him any.. I figured we'd call it a reboot.

also, do you feed wet if they don't eat their meat in a resonable time? I did that for awhile and jango never ate a full meal of meat.. so I decided to stop replacing it with something else, and just give the meat back to him when he was begging for food... fed a meal around 7pm and then just gave back the uneaten portions for the rest of the night.. he still didn't eat it the first few times I did that, but then I think he realized he actually wasn't going to get canned food no matter how much he resisted, and started just eating his entire meat-plate when it came out.

I'm also not too sure about mixing the meat with the canned.. it might be a good way to transition if it works, but I mean, canned naturally has more flavour, right? so maybe it actually makes the meat less tempting? mixing the wet and the raw didn't work for me at all.. they could easily pick out the raw bits to not eat. could you try another way of trying to get her to eat it? a liberal sprinkle with kraft parmesan cheese (they didn't like the real, shredded kind... what non-connoisseurs.) worked really well to get past the reluctant phase with both my cats. I also used chicken in a bath of tuna water which they liked.

7 months seems like a REALLY long transition, so maybe it is time to try a few different things, see if you can speed it up.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
euphoria066 is offline  
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,825
Re: Regression

I'm confused, too. Why did you stop giving the salmon oil? If she likes it, it's good for her so just continue!
hoofmaiden is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 119
Re: Regression

I'm sorry for the confusion.
I'll go into more detail but it might be long. ^^

Pico's Progress
- female
- 8 years old

She was transitioning very well eating all sorts of meats. We managed to have her eating mouse-size chunks. So I decided it was time to introduce bone in meat. When I gave her a chicken thigh (with bone in and skin), she refused to eat. That day I saw at my local pet store, a bottle of Salmon Oil and made the purchase planning to put it in their food as supplement.

Around that same time, Pico got an eye ulcer. I had to take her to the vet and put ointment in her eye daily. During this time, I tried to give her some chicken thigh with salmon oil and for the next few days she refused to eat, merely licking the wet food bribe I was using.

As a week or so went by with her decreasing appetite I didn't want her to go hungry so I reverted to wet food. She ate, maybe a tablespoonful a day. I eventually went back to giving her dry, that's when she upped her intake to about 1/2 cup (which shelters tell me is normal for a cat of her size even though I was worried).

Now I find it very difficult to get her back on track with her raw diet. I managed to get her eating raw again, but I have to cut things into slivers. She avoids chewing and tearing like she did before. I tried ONCE again with the salmon oil in her food to test if it was what she disliked and it was. She did not eat the day we put salmon oil in her food.

I figure all those changes happening at once, the oil, the bone, the ulcer, may have been too fast a pace in the transition for her.

I was just wondering if anyone had experienced regression when transitioning their cat. How long it took them and if there is a better way to coax them to eat.
igloe is offline  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 09:49 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,825
Re: Regression

First, IMO chicken bones are mostly too large for cats. CAN they eat them? Yes. But most cats will have trouble with them, esp. at first. A better choice is cornish game hen (which is very small, 1-pound chicken) or better yet, quail. I get quail at an Asian/Mexican grocery $6.00 for 6, and the cats get 1/2 each when they get quail. The bones are more appropriately sized for cats.

Second, I think you're babying her a bit. Yes, she needs to eat every day due to the risk of hepatic lipidosis. But try this:

AM: Offer boneless chunk. If she eats it, great! If not, take it away, put it in a baggie in the fridge and that's IT. Nothing else until supper.

PM: Offer boneless chunk. If she eats it, great! If not, give her some canned food (or, if ABSOLUTELY necessary, a little dry, but canned would be better).

AM: Repeat same as AM yesterday.

This way she is eating something every 24 hours, but she's hungry enough at her meals to give the new food a try. Get her eating boneless again before trying bone-in, but when you do, do it the same way (but substitute boneless raw for the canned food in the evening if she doesn't eat the bone-in). Of course, you don't want her eating bone-in at every meal, but you get the idea.
hoofmaiden is offline  
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 09:56 AM
Tom Cat
 
catlady2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 310
Re: Regression

Sorry for interrupting but how much quail can you feed within a week? Each cat gets one whole quail for the entire week? That means I could quarter the quail and feed four meals? Right now I'm doing CGH but I think I found quail. With the CGH, as I already mentioned before, I give a cat half of it for the week and split it into four meals.
catlady2010 is offline  
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 10:41 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,825
Re: Regression

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlady2010
Sorry for interrupting but how much quail can you feed within a week? Each cat gets one whole quail for the entire week? That means I could quarter the quail and feed four meals? Right now I'm doing CGH but I think I found quail. With the CGH, as I already mentioned before, I give a cat half of it for the week and split it into four meals.
Huh? No. Each cat gets 1/2 quail whenever I feed quail. Quail is pretty small (smaller than CGH). I feed it probably 4 meals a week--the other meal that day is boneless something or other.

And if you're splitting 1 CGH in half and then dividing that HALF in quarters, that is not enough food for a cat. When I feed CGH each cat gets 1/4 of a hen.
hoofmaiden is offline  
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 119
Re: Regression

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoofmaiden
First, IMO chicken bones are mostly too large for cats. CAN they eat them? Yes. But most cats will have trouble with them, esp. at first. A better choice is cornish game hen (which is very small, 1-pound chicken) or better yet, quail. I get quail at an Asian/Mexican grocery $6.00 for 6, and the cats get 1/2 each when they get quail. The bones are more appropriately sized for cats.

Second, I think you're babying her a bit. Yes, she needs to eat every day due to the risk of hepatic lipidosis. But try this:

AM: Offer boneless chunk. If she eats it, great! If not, take it away, put it in a baggie in the fridge and that's IT. Nothing else until supper.

PM: Offer boneless chunk. If she eats it, great! If not, give her some canned food (or, if ABSOLUTELY necessary, a little dry, but canned would be better).

AM: Repeat same as AM yesterday.

This way she is eating something every 24 hours, but she's hungry enough at her meals to give the new food a try. Get her eating boneless again before trying bone-in, but when you do, do it the same way (but substitute boneless raw for the canned food in the evening if she doesn't eat the bone-in). Of course, you don't want her eating bone-in at every meal, but you get the idea.
Yes, Pico already gets only two meals a day. Once in the morning and once at night. The thing is I have ANOTHER cat, Harley who went from eating almost NO RAW straight to chicken thighs and wings no problem. He's fully on raw now. This was because Pico didn't want her chicken, so he took a pass at it and dove right in.

Lately I've been getting Cornish Hen for them, I go to the Chinese Supermarket often. Harley has been eating it bone-in no problems, but as of right now, I'm just feeding Pico boneless meat.

I was on another forum and left, because I was trying to solve the regression problem and I agree when you say I baby her, however I was pretty much attacked and told I was neglecting her and putting her at risk for hepatic lipidosis if I were to try skipping one of her meals to try and get her to eat. But now that I see someone has suggested what I was thinking as well, I think I'll go forward and try that.
igloe is offline  
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 12:41 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,825
Re: Regression

Yeah, just make sure she is eating a decent meal at least once in 24 hours and keep an eye on her. Don't let it go on TOO long. Most cats won't starve themselves, though, so once it's clear you're not gonna give in, they WILL.
hoofmaiden is offline  
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 07:39 PM
Tom Cat
 
catlady2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 310
Re: Regression

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoofmaiden
Huh? No. Each cat gets 1/2 quail whenever I feed quail. Quail is pretty small (smaller than CGH). I feed it probably 4 meals a week--the other meal that day is boneless something or other.

And if you're splitting 1 CGH in half and then dividing that HALF in quarters, that is not enough food for a cat. When I feed CGH each cat gets 1/4 of a hen.
[/quote]

I meant I quarter the entire CGH and then give two quarters to each cat per week (so basically each cat gets half a CGH within 7 days). Oh ok, so altogether a cat would consume two quails within a week since you feed 1/2 quail 4 times a week?

Overall, I just want to make sure it's enough to feed a cat half a CGH for the whole week. And of course I would divide it into four or five meals so that it would be portioned. And if I want to feed quail, then two whole quails should be enough for the entire week and those would be divided as well.

Orrr does one cat get an entire CGH and THAT should be divided in quarters? I thought one whole CGH for one cat was too much.
catlady2010 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome