Feeding whole prey -- question about food storage - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Feeding whole prey -- question about food storage

What a great forum this is! I've been reading old posts for a couple of days now, and there has been so much great information posted here. Thanks, everyone!

I am thinking about switching my cat to whole prey (he currently eats Wellness canned food). My question right now is how do you guys store the food? Do you all have separate freezers just for your cats' food? I live in an apartment and just have a regular fridge/freezer. I've been looking at sites like rodentpro and it seems like I'll have to order hundreds of mice at a time (and have other stuff on hand like quail, rats and rabbits so that my boy eats a variety of things), and I'm wondering if this is even possible with just a regular freezer.

Thanks in advance! And if anyone happens to know of a local supplier in the West Los Angeles area, that would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 04:33 AM
Cat

Re: Feeding whole prey -- question about food storage

Don't know about the supplier but I use a chest freezer. I'm borrowing my dad's huuuge hunting freezer for now but eventually I'll get an itty bitty one of my own. Not too big, not too small. Really, you can't fit all of your meat into a regular freezer unless you have a massive fridge/freezer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 10:41 AM
Banned

Re: Feeding whole prey -- question about food storage

I have a medium-sized chest freezer, but then I am feeding 3 dogs and 3 cats. I get a lot of free stuff off Craigs list so I have to be ready to take 100 pounds of venison or whatever.

If you have 1-2 cats, you can probably get by with giving them 1/2 of your freezer. Alternatively, there are apt-sized compact freezers -- Kenmore makes nice ones:

Chest style:
http://www.searsoutlet.com/d/product_de ... e=googleps

Front-open style:

$100 worth of mice is pretty compact. Since cats eat a lot less than dogs, you can do pretty well making one big order of mice a few times a year and then getting quail, cornish hens, organs, etc. locally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page