Mouse troubles - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Mouse troubles

Sigh!

I got 5 mice to test out with Mak. They are young adults.

I put one infront of him at dinner... Sniffled and pawed at it, but not interested.
Then I decided maybe he needs to see the meat.. so I cut it in half. Nope.
Then I wondered maybe if it didn't smell "foody" enough... So I doused it in tuna juice. Nuh uh.
Okay, maybe it's not "familiar" enough... So I spread some wet food on it. Licked it all up, but no dice.

Finally I caved in after about 5 hours and gave him a tablespoon or so of wet food; enough to stop any hunger pains, but to ensure that he was very hungry in the morning. He chewed on the tail at breakfast but that's it.

Now I have half a mouse buried under some wet food for him (didn't have anything raw defrosted), soaked in tuna juice and nibbled on but otherwise alone and dejected.

Who knew he would put up such a fight!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If anyone asks, I'm studying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 12:14 PM
Banned

Re: Mouse troubles

Don't give up. I wouldn't bury the mouse under canned food. Just try offering, say, 1/2 mouse (freeze the other half so you don't waste it) every 12 hours. Give him a while w/ it in privacy. If he doesn't eat it, give him a LITTLE canned food, and then nothing else until his next meal -- mouse again. Once he tries it he WILL love it (they pretty much all do). It's just very unfamiliar to cats raise on kibble or canned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page