Cat smoothie - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Cat smoothie

I know that fish body oil is a good supplement to give cats because of the omega 3. So I use the 1200 mg fish oil capsules by Nature Made that have omega 3 in them and give one 1200 capsule to both of my cats once a week. Whenever I pour it on their raw meat they don't eat the raw meat so I started pouring the fish oil on one raw egg and I gave it to them once a week. Tonight I wanted to make a little smoothie for them lol. The ingredients were one 1200 fish oil capsules, one regular, non-organic raw egg with egg shells, some tuna juice and just a little bit of canned tuna (pinky size), and I also added in a very small piece of beef heart (the size of a gulf ball). I blended it all together in a blender and I poured it all in a bowl and they drank ALL of it. So is it a good idea to do this once a week so they get their omega 3? And I think it's a good treat.

I know that human canned tuna (or even cat canned tuna for that matter) is not for them in a large quantity but I only pour a very, very small amount of tuna water in the mixture and the tuna is so small that it doesn't even make a difference for it to be in there. And I only do this once a week. I hope there's no such thing as omega 3 overdose because I'm giving them each the one egg covered with one 1200 capsule once a week. That's not too much right?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 10:13 PM
Tom Cat

Re: Cat smoothie

You could give each cat 1/4 of a teaspoon of the fish oil daily. However, what type of fish does the oil come from? Is it a high quality fish oil? Because the only fish oil I would ever use for my cats is 100% pure Atlantic Salmon. They are safe, and not full on contaminants and high levels of mercury. When looking for a good fish oil, make sure they only press it from the skin, not the body. Read this site, they give info on fish oil, and this is the company I am considering buying from, when they get more in. http://www.naturalalaskasalmonoil.com/i ... on_oil.cfm
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Well I just give each of them one 1200 mg capsule once a week with one raw egg. So one capsule and one raw egg for two cats once a week. The Nature Made fish oil capsules say they contain anchovy, sardine and soy. It's this http://www.walgreens.com/store/catalog/ ... =sku381794

I would give it everyday but they don't like it when it's on their meat =/ and I think eggs everyday is too much. Oh and the label doesn't say 'fish body oil' I accidentally typed that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Tom Cat

The soy being in the capsule would be enough to make me not use it, it is ineffective in the body of a cat. Aswell as olive oil, flaxseed oil, and other vegetable based oils they try to pass off as good for pets. And to get a high quality fish oil, it needs to be at a specialty health food store, not walmart, GNC, walgreens, zellers, grocery stores, etc. And with 100% atlantic salmon oil, most cats actually like the taste of it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Specialty health food store, like whole foods market? Hmm IDK. I thought because it was coming from sardines and anchovies it would be acceptable. The soy may not do anything for them but I'm sure the omega 3 from the sardines and anchovies is effective. Besides, this is only temporary. I am looking around for raw sardines (not the regular canned sardines at walmart). I am going to the asian supermarket on Wednesday and I will buy some raw sardines and hopefully some of those once a week will be enough.

GNC, walgreens, walmart, etc. pretty much cancels out everything available lol. I'm sure the nature made is not dangerous. Ultimately it provides the omega 3 and contains only the two fish and soy. Soy isn't dangerous, maybe ineffective like you said, but not dangerous.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 11:06 PM
Tom Cat

The only thing about other fish oils, is sometimes they don't specify the source of where they got the fish, and its in bad areas. A lot of fish oils go through mollecular distillations which alter the quality of the oil and it is a lot different than its natural state. With the asian supermarket raw sardines, my only concern would be their source and quality, as a lot of it comes from unsustainable fishing areas. I'm not trying to be annoying about this at all, if it comes off that way, just trying to be helpful lol.
And I just read the ingredients for the ones you are using, and it says ''fish oil concentrate'', so I am assuming it has been through some sort of unnatural process.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Yeah I noticed the bottle didn't specify the source. But I wonder how bad it would be as long as it contains the omega 3? I would get the 100% atlanic salmon but it says they ran out and who knows how long it would be out. Besides, I don't have the option of purchasing stuff online. As far as source and quality, I have no idea. I can simply ask them if their fish is fresh and they will say "yes." I mean it's not like they will say "no, it's not fresh" lol. And almost no one can speak English there so it's impossible to ask about the source. The meat is never marinated/enhanced or anything so that's what I mainly look for. I get almost everything from the local asian supermarket. It's a HUGEEEE asian market, probably much bigger than the size of a regular walmart. It has tons of meat. A LOT of people on here get some of there meat from asian markets so I figured it would be safe. And the people really seem educated about the raw diet. But sometimes I do question how fresh these supermarkets keep their meat but just by looking at it, it looks fresh. They're constantly stalking and re-stalking. I always get the meat that's on top.

And no, you're not being annoying at all, hehe
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlady2010
They're constantly stalking and re-stalking. I always get the meat that's on top.
IF the stores are anything like a few around here, you want the meat that is on the bottom. When they restock the meat they but the older stuff on top to sell it faster and the freshest meat is on the bottom.

I don't use fish oil. Instead I just feed an ounce or so of sardines a week to each cat.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Wow my mom said the same thing last time we were at the asian supermarket. I thought she was just saying that randomly. Thanks, it makes sense. And I think I will get some sardines from the asian supermarket today to just feed that as an addition to the smoothie. Of course, I will just feed like one or two per week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page