Omega woes - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Omega woes

So, the dogs will eat anything. But lately, the cats refuse the stuff with Omega oils!

Another thread about a Cat Smoothie(tm) got me thinking... how many sardines per week is enough for these things? And are cooked sardines okay? Or raw only? Even though the cats shouldn't have fish often, if 2+ times a week enough?

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 01:40 AM
Banned

Re: Omega woes

My Pico absolutely hated it, our transition to raw actually regressed when I introduced it to her meal. Harley love it though... I'm not sure what to do. For now, I just don't put it in her food.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Banned

Hare Today sells unscented fish body oils:

http://www.hare-today.com/product_info. ... cts_id=226

All my cats and one of my dogs HATE fish oil, but they'll eat this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Senior Cat

Typically in the containers of sardines I get there are 4-5 in each. For most of mine a sardine is good for a week...but it depends on if they are longhaired or shorthaired. The longhaired ones (especially Chester) need 2 a week.

I use this brand: http://www.brunswick.ca/brunswick/canad ... inpage.asp which has one packed in water w/ no salt added. However that doesn't seem to be showing up on their site...

I use sardines for a few reasons. First, with 18 cats eating raw, it is hard to add fish oil to their food. Second, they LOVE sardines and they work very well. Third, I just love feeding them sardines. It is so much easier to make sure each cat gets at least one than to have to add oil to their food...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Tom Cat

furryfriends, where do you get your sardines? Every time I look around in the grocery store they always have sardines in oil or tomato sauce.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thanks for all the replies guys.

We actually bought an Omega sup. from the vet (no smell), and they still refuse.

So I think the next step is sardines! They love those, I think we'll go with two a week until we get good coats then switch to one.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlady2010
furryfriends, where do you get your sardines? Every time I look around in the grocery store they always have sardines in oil or tomato sauce.
I get mine from Safeway if that makes any differance. They have a lot of differant brands and flavors, if thats what you call them, but I like the Brunswick ones.

They are more smushy and it makes it easy to mix with food if I want to. Lately I have been mixing a can of sardines with the bucket of food which is about 3 lbs of meat. So far it has been working very well, but I might switch back to once a week. I decided I don't want them to get addicted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page