Won't Eat Off Bone - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Won't Eat Off Bone

So my kitty won't eat meat off of the bone, and certainly isn't interested in whole bones at all. She eats ground bones fine (I know, not ideal) and organs fine. She loves her muscle meat. But I can't get her to eat the small pieces of Cornish Game Hen.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 04:24 PM
Cool Cat

Re: Won't Eat Off Bone

When you cut up the cornish hen use the ribs and leave a good, heavy layer of breast meat. Make some of the meat hand off a bit so the first mouth fulls are pure meat. Perhaps even serve a small amount of meat to the side of the ribs so the cat gets the delicious taste in her mouth and doesn't want to stop.

I don't have mine eat off of bones but he definitely has to eat the bone. If you have to grind the bone meals it's not the end of the world though either, as long as the other meals are whole I think it's pretty darn good.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 11:33 AM
Banned

Keep at it. Try offering a SMALL piece of bone-in CGH when she's good and hungry--confine her in one room w/ it for an hour or so. If she doesn't eat it, give her a small amount of something that she WILL eat, but not enough for her to be fully satisfied. Next meal (12 hours later) offer bone-in again. Eventually she'll be hungry and she'll give it a real try--once she realizes she CAN eat it, and her jaw strength improves, she'll be all about it. It does take time for kibble/canned fed cats to develop strength.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks to you both. For now I've been giving the ground bone still until I run out (not that much left). Sorry it took me so long to get back, I've been so busy! I'll give the suggestions a try. I know she has it in her, and she loves her raw food. She's just hesitant to try new things. I'm sure you all know about that!
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Banned

It's partly reluctance to try the unfamiliar, but it's also lack of jaw strength. At least most dogs chew other stuff, so when they transition to raw they aren't completely unfamiliar with actually USING their jaws. Many adult cats fed kibble or canned their entire lives have never really used their jaws in their lifetime!

My kitten Jonah was rescued out of the street at 3-4 weeks. By 6 weeks he was eating small mice and by 8 weeks large mice. Took my adult cats almost 8 mos to get to that point! And it's certainly partly what you get used to, but it's also that the adult cats' jaw muscles were actually atrophied.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 07:56 PM
Cat Addict

Prince won't touch the small bone-in chicken wings I give him, however much meat I leave on them. I thought it was lack of jaw strength, but I remember that one day he ate the wing's bone like nothing. So I don't know what to think or do anymore... He eats the rest of his balanced raw diet with gusto. Though he sometimes (rarely) craves kibble and will not eat his raw food, will pitifully ask me for kibble till I give in (I keep kibble in the terrace for my strays and he leads me there and shows me the bags and whines). Today he had a day when he hardly touched his raw food, he went without eating till I gave in and gave him kibble.

I found Prince in the street over a month ago, he seems to be an abandoned house cat. He's 1-2 y/o and perfectly healthy as per the vet.

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 03:02 PM
Cat

If he's hungry enough he'll learn to start tackling these challenges. My oldest cat prefers meaty bones to anything else.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 04:55 AM
Cat Addict

But he has a meowmmy that won't let him go hungry, so he's spoilt, hehe! Last night he tackled another small bone, so now meowmmy is happy and hopeful.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Cat

I didn't mean to let him go hungry, just let him meow at you when he really wants to make it clear he's hungry, then close him into the bathroom like I do with a Cornish Hen leg. Cubby just finished one off - the whole thing. Make sure it's at room temp and not cold.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Cat Addict

Why close him?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page