Transition - Enticing food :( - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Transition - Enticing food :(

Hi guys,
I am struggling with one of my cat who is kibble junky in the passed, he is 14 months now. Since the day I got him (2 months old) he been eating Kibble from Iam to RC to Evo to Acana and now i am still in the progress of 'weaning' him from the kibble. He started to have raw about 4 weeks ago, still he need to have entice canned food to help him eat the raw, i need to mix 95% of raw with 3-5% of canned tuna(the lower quality as i can get, if not, that doesnt work). I been trying to feed 100% raw without the topping, however, he will just sniff it and go off OR have 1 piece of chunk, then walk off. I even forcefully doing it (2 weeks) without the canned tuna, he will just eat 1 piece of chuck at a time or eat nothing and causing his skin and coat started have problem. He lick himself till have many bald spot, i doubt that is the stress or lack of certain nutrition that been affecting his emotion or body. From then, i decided to put in canned tuna that to entice him to eat the proper potion i offer him. (eating better then no eating enough at all) Wild salmon oil does not make any effect on him.

My concern is will that canned tuna in long run causing anything bad on my cat? Any ideal to suggest me how to wean him off completely from the canned tuna? cut from 5%, 4% , 3%.... ? he stop eating!

I been feeding him 3-4 times a day in this period of time, he CLEAN the plate with the Miracle Topping of Canned Tuna!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Banned

Re: Transition - Enticing food :(

You do want to get him off the tuna--it's not good for him and too much fish can cause urinary tract problems.

First, get him on a twice a day schedule and get him eating 100% canned. Lots of advice about this here:

http://www.rawfedcats.org/practicalguide.htm

Start by mixing 50/50 canned and kibble, gradually reducing the kibble and increasing the canned. If he doesn't eat it all, remove it and try again in 12 hours. He MUST eat something every day to avoid the risk of hepatic lipidosis, but he needs to be hungry in order to try something new, so straddle that line.

Once he's happily cleaning up 100% canned food twice a day, start adding in some pieces of raw per the link above.

And keep us apprised of his progress!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

He is eating all the raw meat i offer him provided the meat have the smell of tuna, that's why i added in 3% of canned tuna in enticing him to eat and he is happily cleaning up the plate.

I realise that If i HAND FEED him the raw without adding tuna, he will take from my hands, but not from the plate! why??????! I can't be hand feed him all the time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 09:29 AM
Cool Cat

Would he eat it off of a towel? Perhaps when he tries to pick up the meat off of the plate his teeth slam into the plate. Or perhaps using a plastic or paper plate?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

he eat off the plate when there is very mild smell of tuna, other wise he won't. I dont want him to train me, i want to train him. Currently i am offering 3 meal a day(morning, late evening and supper), I am cutting of the tuna on the supper, I leave the food there till morning. If the plate is empty, then i am on the way to complete the tast. I may try to cut down to 2 meals a day to give greater hunger to push him to eat without tuna. hopefully thing work out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page