Raw food and gingivitis - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Raw food and gingivitis

Due to a recent post I read, I am once again considering raw for both my cats. Of course, I will do tons of research and uncover as much as I can before I make my final decision. So my question is this :

I have two cats, female is 5 years old, and the male is 1.5 years old. I adopted the male (Sam) when he was 5 months old, and a week after I got him I discovered that he had a mild case of gingivitis. His gums are just slightly red around his teeth, and he has stinky breath (which has gotten a lot better since I bought the Suzie's tartar liquid). I know that one of the key health benefits of a raw diet is it helps keep teeth and gums clean. But can a raw diet help cure or reverse gingivitis? Or, once the cat has it all you can do is keep it from getting worse?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 12:01 PM
Banned

Re: Raw food and gingivitis

It can, certainly. Just gingivitis, or is there also tartar?

ALL my animals' teeth looked better w/in 6 weeks of going raw. They are all glitteringly white now, except for Sophie, who is a 12 year old dog who has had annual dentals for many years. She has enamel damage, so there's no way for her to avoid continued annual dentals. Everyone else looks great!

Switch and see how much better things look in a few months!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

There is slight tartar buildup also, but its still at the first stage, its not severe, and I have been able to keep it from getting worse. Still doing more research into the raw, but even my mom is on board!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 12:37 PM
Banned

Lincoln was 11 when we went raw. The vet had told me 4-5 mos prior that his teeth were getting to the point where he needed a dental, which I could see for myself.

We went raw b/c of Calvin's IBD -- as long as HE was going raw, the dogs and Lincoln did, too -- and I didn't really expect to see what I saw -- ALL Lincoln's tartar was GONE w/in 6 weeks. BLISTERINGLY white teeth. Kinda freaked me out.

Lincoln went to the vet in Jan. for his annual bloodwork. The vet said, "Oh, his teeth look great! He's HOW old???!!" I told him and then reminded him that 15 mos ago Lincoln was in desperate need of a dental. I told him the only thing I changed was going raw.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 12:54 PM
Tom Cat

is this raw food that is ground up or chunks of meat that you are feeding?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I am not feeding raw yet, it was just a question. I feed high quality canned food.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 04:35 PM
Banned

I initially doubted that raw could reverse a dental state - keep things stable and, with already-healthy cats, clean? You bet! But remove tartar build-up or improve a particular dental state? Not so much.

Two years after putting my cats on raw, I am a believer. Cutting and scissoring through meat, tendons and bones can and will not only keep a cat's mouth clean, it will improve the current condition of said cat's mouth.

(Infections or serious conditions, however, need a vet's intervention to correct!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page