New kitten with raw - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Cat

New kitten with raw

I intend to get a kitten this Summer to finish off my "family". My two girls are raw-fed and I'm really pleased with how its gone. Transition was easy and they LOVE it.

So I obviously want my new little man to be raw fed too. I know some of you have raw fed kittens from the off so I'm after some tips on what/how you did it. My youngest was probably about 14 weeks or so when she started it and I started slowly - so I suppose I have sort of done this before but I keep questioning myself over doing it again. I don't know why.

Is it perfectly acceptable for a kitten to be on JUST raw meat. When I've spoken to vets they've promoted something they sell themselves (which is really no surprise) and I haven't been brave enough to mention how I feed my cats since. You know how all the adverts are so "this is perfectly balanced for your kittens needs......" - I suppose I just need reassurance

Thank you in advance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 10:17 AM
Tom Cat

Re: New kitten with raw

I know what you mean, most vets seem to believe that raw is bad for cats. When I was talking about it with my vet a couple weeks ago, she told me that raw meat is not nutritionally balanced, and with the pet food you get the guarantee. Yet, the dry kibble, since it is cooked at such high temperatures they have to add all the vitamins and minerals back in. But with raw meat, you know exactly what is going into your cats body, and it is high in taurine and other nutrients, and you can even supplement with fish oil (atlantic salmon oil is the best). I am not on the raw diet yet myself, but I am going to start the transition soon, I just first need to buy the food scale and baby scale to weigh my cats. My friend started her puppy off on raw food right from 8 weeks old, yes its different for a dog, but if a puppy can start that young, I dont see why a kitten cant start that young either. Iv seen raw sites where very young kittens are already eating raw, and Im sure people on this forum have started their kittens on it straight away. I have also heard it is much easier to start a kitten off on raw because they are not kibble junkies yet. Hope that helped
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 11:34 AM
Banned

My Jonah was 3 weeks old when I found him in the middle of the road. He was on goat's milk formula for 2 weeks and then I weaned him directly to raw (mice). He has never had any commercial food at all, and he's now a glowingly healthy 7 month old kitten.

Of COURSE kittens can eat a raw diet--it's what they evolved to eat! The only issue w/ kittens, IMO, is that you have a little less wiggle room. For that reason, IMO feeding mostly mice to kittens is safer -- they are the complete package, as it were - -80% meat/10% bone/10% organ (with liver), all in a fur wrapping.

Start w/ pinkies but move up as quickly as possible to adult mice, as they have more nutrients. Kittens need to eat at least twice as much as adult cats -- usually much more than twice as much. Feed 4-5 times a day until 8 weeks, 4 times a day 8-12 weeks, and at least 3X a day from 12 weeks to 6 mos. Jonah was eating full-sized large mice by 8 weeks.

If you can't/won't do mice, you'll have to be extra careful about providing 80/10/10 (half of the last 10% is liver) daily. Stick with very small bones, like quail (not chicken).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoofmaiden
My Jonah was 3 weeks old when I found him in the middle of the road. He was on goat's milk formula for 2 weeks and then I weaned him directly to raw (mice). He has never had any commercial food at all, and he's now a glowingly healthy month old kitten.

That is exactly what I was hoping you'd say hoofmaiden. I just needed some confirmation. I KNOW its ok but a little part of me is still worried about screwing it up - even though I've got two healthy girls already on raw with no problems. I'll have to get over that and just get on with it. I'll make sure everything is spot on - 80/10/10. Mice are not cheap over here and I haven't found an online supplier that sells them at a decent price. Also - quail - that is almost a luxury over here (I think.....) - is there anything else small enough for a young kitten that I could perhaps use instead?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 12:46 PM
Banned

Jonah is now 7 months old. I somehow left that out of my original post, LOL --looked like he was still 1 month old!

I would get some organic goat's milk and give him a little of that twice a day to cover calcium until he's big enough to eat real bone, then. Offer chicken, beef, as much variety as possible, and get that 5% liver into him daily. Can you get rabbit? Rabbit ribs are small and easy to eat. Or chicken ribs in a pinch.

I can't believe quail and such are hard to get. Isn't the UK game bird central???
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Yup - quail is a luxury here. I searched Google UK and found mostly websites about keeping and breeding them lol. I imagine they are shot etc in some places here - but they're so small, surely there won't be anything left after its been shot!
Rabbit I CAN do though

Thank you for your help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page