A few important questions. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Cat

A few important questions.

I have a few questions so...

1. my cat nibbler, has a history of struvite crystals/FLUTD. Would raw be better than his current food(royal cainin medi-cal urinary S/O)?

2. what about taurine, other vitamins/amino acids/minerals?

3. Is raw meat safe for him? My vet said it has to be cooked(and my mom listens to the vet, alot more than me) or it's dangerous.

4. Could he choke on bones?

5. is it very expensive? His food right know runs us about 80-95$ monthly.

6. How much would he eat? He weighs around 13-15 lbs?

7. Do raw fed cats really live longer, Better, healthier, happier lives?

Thanks! From me and nibbler!

Nibbler - 5 years old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 11:10 PM
Banned

Re: A few important questions.

1. my cat nibbler, has a history of struvite crystals/FLUTD. Would raw be better than his current food(royal cainin medi-cal urinary S/O)?
Did you check out these threads for info on this? I'm not an expert, but it might help.
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=59682
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=66617

2. what about taurine, other vitamins/amino acids/minerals?
Raw meats naturally have these nutrients. If you cook them, it kills the nutrients in the meat. Taurine can be found in hearts. Do a little more research and you should find your answers. =)

3. Is raw meat safe for him? My vet said it has to be cooked(and my mom listens to the vet, alot more than me) or it's dangerous.
Everything has risk, even dry foods. If you read my thread, you can see what I learned about raw feeding. My vet is not a follower of raw feeding, but we must keep in mind that a vet is responsible for learning about a HUGE VARIETY of animals and their biological workings, nutrition only makes up a PART of what they learn. So even though I trust my vet to diagnose and treat illnesses, I'm not going to take every thing he says as gospel.
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=66944

4. Could he choke on bones?
Yes, but this is a natural part of your cat learning how to chew bone. It should only last a few seconds and he'll either cough it up or work it down. The reason cats would choke on bones in the first place is because they don't know how to work with it (since we've always fed him dry food). After choking a few times, he should me skilled enough to break it and then swallow. Both my cats have learned this way.

5. is it very expensive? His food right know runs us about 80-95$ monthly.
Wow, what are you feeding him!? For me, per month, per cat:
Dry food: $10
Wet food: $30
Raw food (beginning with experimenting all sorts of meat): Around $50
Raw food (now at the END of the transition, now that I know what they like): About $30

6. How much would he eat? He weighs around 13-15 lbs?
Some people will get very specific an weight food to the ounces, for me, I stick to the 80% meat, 10% organ, 10% bone, guideline and give about a "mouse size full". That is what they would be catching to eat in the wild anyway. =) Think back to nature!!

7. Do raw fed cats really live longer, Better, healthier, happier lives?
I do not know if they live longer since I JUST transitioned my cats, but I can tell you that it has fixed a lot of my kitties health problems, their coat is softer and shinier to the touch, they are more affectionate, and their poo has NO SCENT. Read my journey and it should answer some of the questions you have (which were the same questions I had when I started)

Here is the link again:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=66944

Hope this helps!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Hehe, he eats no dry food(I like to call dry food 'death nuggets'). That is probably why it's a bit expensive.

Thanks for all your help!!!

EDIT: Oh. and a question about hearts. When you feed raw hearts, is the heart like full of blood? Would it be really messy to cut it up??

Sorry if my question is dumb, I don't have any experience with meat. I'm vegan . I don't deal well with blood, so if it is really bloody. Is there anything I can use instead?

Nibbler - 5 years old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 09:25 AM
Cool Cat

if you use little hearts like chicken heart it's not very bloody, plus they eat it in like two bites. You don't NEED heart though, taurine is found in regular meat too. But you do need to feed liver and another organ (heart does not count) like kidney.

I spend $40 per month on my wet food cat and $25-$30 on my raw food cat. Feeding only one is pretty cheap.

You need to be committed to doing it right though, if you decide not to feed bones or liver because he's not taking to it right away that would be very dangerous for the cat.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Cat

I don't want to try it until I know his nutritional requirements will be met. Is there some sort of menu?

Anothere thing, does anyone know what are the risks of bacteria? Thats a big concern around here.

Nibbler - 5 years old.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 12:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibbler
I don't want to try it until I know his nutritional requirements will be met. Is there some sort of menu?
The "menu" is 80-85% meat; 5-10% bone; 10% organ (half of which should be liver). That's fed OVER TIME, not necessarily everything in each meal. Lots of info here:

http://www.rawfedcats.org/

Quote:
Anothere thing, does anyone know what are the risks of bacteria? Thats a big concern around here.
Carnivores are set up to handle bacteria. Here's some info for you:

http://rawfed.com/myths/bacteria.html

I've been raw feeding 3 dogs and 3 cats for more than a year now. They are all doing AWESOME. We have had no problems at all, all their teeth look MILES better (including 12 year old Lincoln who needed a dental b/f we started, and no longer needed one 3 mos later!), and they are happy and healthy. I would never go back.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thank you so much!!

another thing, when you said "it's not very bloody" , What did you mean? Is there more blood that like a chicken thigh(little-no blood)?

Again, Sorry! The only meat I handle is for my dogs food(chicken thighs, supplements etc).

Nibbler - 5 years old.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Banned

There is no blood in meat. There is a little serum, but that's it. I'm vegan, so trust me -- I was WAY more grossed out about the whole thing at first than 99% of folks, LOL. And I can do it.

Chicken hearts are nice if you're grossed out b/c you don't have to cut them. Just toss a few in a bowl and that's that. Beef/pork hearts must be cut up for cats.

One way to reduce the gross factor w/ this stuff (and make it easier to cut up) is to freeze it and then PARTIALLY thaw it. This makes it firm and easier to cut (plus less serum-y). This is esp. helpful w/ liver and kidney, which are a total PITA (and gross!) to cut up. When I get liver, I freeze it, partially thaw it, then cut up half of it into cat pieces and half of it into dog pieces. Goes into baggies marked --L-D or L-C. Then I re-freeze and thaw when I need them to feed.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Banned

Hi, Nibbler! Glad to hear you're switching your cat to the diet she was meant to eat!

Another thread you might find helpful is this sticky, Natural Diet Information Resources, as it really goes into menu/portion detail, which seems to be one of your main concerns.

As to the bacterial/contamination/parasitic risks of raw - they are there, but much, much lower than we are led to believe, and, in fact, considerably lower than that associated with dry foods.

Here's an article ref. Salmonella you might find of interest: Spooked By Salmonella: Raw Food!!!

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress. Everyone loves success stories!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thank you so much!! Aunt crazy, is there less bacteria in raw than in canned too?

I have to convince my mom it's best for him, I think by showing her all this research(from here, and all across the web). She might think it's actually a good idea!

Nibbler - 5 years old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page