Is it possible that raw diet is "not for" one particular cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Is it possible that raw diet is "not for" one particular cat

My cat had gastrointestinitis a few days ago, so I brought him to the animal hospital.
Our of the 3 vets we have seen there, one said "we do not like raw" after we told them we are feeding raw to my 2 cats (the other one is healthy).

She also said "raw might not be for your cat, every cat is different." Is it possible that raw diet is not for one particular cat? That sounds pretty impossible for me, how can a cat survive in the wild if he/she is not good with raw?

Right now the vet wants my cat to be on low residue diet, dry and canned. My cat eats it, but when he saw his buddy's raw food, he immediately ran over and swallowing a few bites before I took it away.

Can cat recoving from gastrointestinitis take raw food? If they are supposed to eat a food that will digest better, why dry/canned, but not raw?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Banned

Re: Is it possible that raw diet is "not for" one particular cat

The problem is that vets blame EVERYTHING on raw if the cat is known to be eating that way. Unless you were feeding something the cat wasn't used to or something very bizarre, I VERY much doubt the cause was the diet. Tummy troubles are caused by viruses in cats just as they are in human beings. Feed boneless chicken for a few days, let the problem pass, and then slowly ramp back up. Cats and dogs get tummy troubles on kibble and canned, too, but vets NEVER blame the food THEN, LOL.

Give us an example of your kitty's diet - say what he ate over the 5 days or so b/f he got sick.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Cat

The vet sounds like we are giving our babies meat from road side dead animal bodies or unidentified sources.

I mix raw food to make a balance diet, and just scoop the mixture for my cats.

Days before sick / Food
Breakfast - Pork, chicken bones, duck liver, pig kidney
Lunch - Primal Turkey raw
Dinner - Pork, chicken bones, duck liver, pig kidney
2 same as 1
Breakfast - Rad Cat Turkey
Lunch - Primal Turkey raw
Dinner - Rad Cat Turkey
Breakfast - Rad Cat Turkey
Lunch - Dry (TOTW mix Orijen)
Dinner - Rad Cat Turkey
Breakfast - Chicken, chicken bones, duck liver, pig brain
Lunch - Dry (TOTW mix Orijen)
Dinner - Rad Cat Turkey

I know some say no to pork, but they have been doing fine with it.
Besides that, they also get quail. One cat is allergic to beef, lamb and rabbit, so there are not may choices we have here.

FYI, my cats are 9 months old, and they have been on raw for 4 months. The other cat is very healthy on raw.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 01:52 PM
Jr. Cat

Never mix raw with dry food.

Dry food takes twice as long to run through the digestive system, it will stall the raw food inside and allow bacteria to flourish more than the length of time had there been no dry food in the cat's system.

Delete the dry food and try again with one single protein source.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by straylover

Dry food takes twice as long to run through the digestive system, it will stall the raw food inside and allow bacteria to flourish more than the length of time had there been no dry food in the cat's system.

There is at least 7 hours between meals, does that consider "mixing" too? Due to my work schedule, there are 2 days that no one will be at home for 13 hours, I need to give them something to eat. Is there a better way of doing it?

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by koobe
I mix raw food to make a balance diet, and just scoop the mixture for my cats.
What do you mean by this? Do you grind the food? If so, I recommend NOT doing that. Cats CAN eat real food and grinding just exposes more surface area to bacteria.

All that said, you are feeding way too much variety IMO, esp. since you're mixing raw food, COMMERCIAL raw food, and dry kibble. Go back to basics. Stop grinding if you were doing that, and feed plain bone-in and boneless chicken for a couple of weeks. Quail or cornish game hen is better for cats than chicken, bone-size wise, but if you MUST feed chicken, stick w/ wings and breast. Don't feed too much bone--cats only need bone to be 5% to at MOST 10% of the overall diet.

Get rid of the Rad cat and the dry food.

I think your problem is too much STUFF.

Be sure to read carefully this website:

http://www.rawfedcats.org/
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Quote:

There is at least 7 hours between meals, does that consider "mixing" too? Due to my work schedule, there are 2 days that no one will be at home for 13 hours, I need to give them something to eat. Is there a better way of doing it?
Cats take 12 hours to digest food. That's why the caxperts in the forum frequently recommend not feeding raw within 12 hours of feeding dry.

It's okay not to feed a kitty for 13 hours. Just don't go longer than 24. Many adult cats do well on just 1 meal per day.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Hello Cat Addict,
No, I do not grind meat. I cut them everything into piece. It used to be smaller pieces, now bigger. I also cut bones in about 1/2 inch in length, they are not good about anything bigger than that now.

So I mix all my ingredients, so every spoon I scoop should be balanced this way.

I was under the impression that I should give my cats as much variety as possible. Maybe I should start reducing types of meat for now, and work my way up when they are bigger.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cats take 12 hours to digest food. That's why the caxperts in the forum frequently recommend not feeding raw within 12 hours of feeding dry.

It's okay not to feed a kitty for 13 hours. Just don't go longer than 24. Many adult cats do well on just 1 meal per day.
Thank you for your suggestion, I will try to increase the time between meals too see how they deal with it.

So bottom line is, it is impossible for a cat to be allergic to/not do well on raw diet. Do we all agree on this?

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 02:57 PM
Cool Cat

It's possible for them to be intolerant of SOMETHING in the diet, perhaps one meat source, but I doubt a cat would be intolerant of food simply because it's raw, that doesn't make sense unless the food is very poorly handled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page