Whole Prey - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Whole Prey

Hi again!

This used to be a shaky issue for me as I'm a strict vegan - however I am totally understanding of my cats needs and would never impose my ethics on her.

I was wondering if any Canadians out there know of any source in Canada (I live in Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario) that sells frozen mice or birds that I could give to my Boo (once she starts taking to raw meat)? I do NOT want to feed her live mice, as that would break my heart to watch However, heartless as it sounds, I would have pretty much no qualms about feeding her whole prey if it were euthanized and already dead. I'm really not squeamish about it and could do it for her in a heartbeat. Of course I doubt she would eat it as of now as she's picky as heck, but in time I'm hoping to give her whole prey, as I think this would be the most healthy of diets for her.

I have seen sites that offer mice in bulk online but I'd really rather not spend a bunch on ordering a bag of mice only to have it sit in the freezer cause kitty isn't interested. (Do you think she'd revert back to her instinct and gobble it up? Or would it be as repulsive to her as chunks of meat? ) Boo has always lived in an apartment or city house all her life so probably wouldn't know what do with a mouse if she saw one. However, this is my ultimate goal for her so I'd like to be prepared.

Thanks!

Tiff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Banned

Re: Whole Prey

Have you transitioned Boo yet? Is she already on raw? If not, try giving her a frozen mouse, if she doesn't eat it, you'll probably need to transition her onto raw.

http://www.rawfedcats.org/ (is a really good resource)

I'm located in Toronto and since I have access to asian supermarkets, I usually get quail. My kitties are currently on frankenprey model, but I hope to get them to whole prey eventually. I too am looking for a good source so I'll keep checking back on this thread to see if anyone posts about it. ^^
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Jr. Cat

Re: Whole Prey

Any place that sells reptiles (or a reptile society/show) is a good place to start....we reptile keepers regularly feed mice, rats, chicks, baby rabbits...all of which are excellent whole-prey foods, and typically available frozen moreso than live. Look on reptilescanada.com as well...the classifieds section usually has lots of feeder sellers in Ontario...likely some close to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page