Huge Progress! (I think) Also some questions - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Huge Progress! (I think) Also some questions

So my Boo wouldn't eat anything raw I put in front of her... nor would she eat the canned pate stuff I bought her (she hated it and threw up what she did eat). So I got her some food with chunks of meat and gravy in it, and she loved that. Then we had the idea of just using the gravy and cutting up some raw chicken in little pieces and covering it with the stuff and.... SUCCESS! She ate every bite of the chicken! The bowl was almost licked clean. In fact the only thing that was left was some of the COOKED flakes of meat that came with the can - but all the raw, healthy stuff? Gobbled up.

I have a couple concerns though. Boo is drinking A LOT less. When on dry she goes through at least a full bowl of water a day... However this morning I woke up and her bowl was still pretty much full. Is this normal because she's getting the moisture in her food?

Also, any suggestions when I should start weaning her off the gravy? I'm going to slowly start decreasing the amount I put in in a couple weeks or so. Is that too soon? Too late?

Thanks everyone!

Tiff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Banned

Re: Huge Progress! (I think) Also some questions

Cats evolved to get their water needs through their prey and cats fed kibble are chronically dehydrated, so, yes, it's totally expected that a cat switched from kibble to canned or raw would reduce the amount of water she's drinking.

As for the transition, let your kitty dictate the pace. Make a little change and if she accepts it, wait a couple of days and make another little change.

Good luck! Sounds like you're doing a great job so far!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Cool Cat

That's great progress! good job! My two cats, one of which is on raw and one of which is on canned, don't drink any water (or at least not that I see). When they ate half wet half dry they drank daily. So the diet change definitely changes how much they need to drink.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks everyone!

Boo just loves chicken. I was worried cause she wasn't eating any of the salmon I gave her, but she just isn't a fish gal I guess.

Today I gave her for breakfast 9 parts raw chicken to 1 part gravy (as opposed to basically 60/40 before) and, this was a half hour ago, its gone now. She just loves it!

I'm just so surprised that one of the pickiest kitties in the world is taking so fast to her new diet. I thought this would take months at least. I know I have a long way to go and I have to start integrating liver, kidney and bones, but she's doing wonderfully so far. Also the meat has to be chopped up in little bits for now.

Boo has been acting really different since I started feeding her wet/raw. She's all hyperactive and even more playful than before! Running all over the house, going crazy over her toys and hopping in and out of the bathtub. She's almost 9 btw! I read raw can have an effect on a cat's disposition but I didn't think just after a few days, wow!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Banned

Glad she's transitioning well!

I honestly have seen my 3 cats drink maybe a total of 3x in the last year. Of course, I'm asleep at night and at work during the day, but still . . . ! They really DO get most of their moisture from a species-appropriate diet! I have noticed, if anything, MORE pee in the box (less poop), so I know for sure they are getting plenty of water in their food.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Lol, her water bowl is untouched every time I change it. I check her litter box twice a day since starting her on this diet to monitor and she's been doing great - just like you say, less poop and (a lot) more pee, despite the not drinking. I always see her running to her litter box, so I was worried she was having another flareup, but her pee is normal. This diet is awesome. I'm so proud of her.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Banned

When it comes to my furkids, I've found nothing else that even comes close to giving me the satisfaction I feel while watching them eat what nature intended for them to eat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page