Bear of the Season! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Bear of the Season!

I haven't been on in a while and most probably don't remember me but I suppose an update is in order. Moon Sugar is adjusting well and being loud, obnoxious, and overly affectionate. She still has some issues I'm working on; like hating being picked up and getting twitchy around feet but otherwise she's fine. Skooma is awesome and now that spring has sprung, is clamoring constantly for her half hour morning walks. Both cats switched easily to raw diet and moose meat. Sugar is still leery about whole prey mice but eats pretty much everything else (quite literally, her walks are an effort).

So, update over and onto the good stuff. My dad just got his bear of the season and we gutted it a couple of minutes ago. It's hanging in the carport overnight 'till there's more light so dad can skin it properly. He gave me most of the organs and is going to save me the brain and the feet and hands (for bones I'm hoping).

But I have yet to prepare any other organs besides heart and liver (I've been supplementing with Evo 95% Chicken and Turkey). So now that I have the pancreas and am soon to have a brain how do I prepare it? Cut it up? Can brain freeze without damaging it? Can cats eat lungs? What other organs can they eat safely and are good for them?

Aaaand that's all the questions I got for now... I'll think of something later...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 06:19 AM
Cool Cat

Re: Bear of the Season!

you can do what you'd do with any other organ, cut it and freeze it, they can eat any organ.\

HOWEVER...I think bears carry trichinosis because they eat garbage. I'm not sure if it's safe to feed without proper, long term freezing, maybe someone else can chime in on it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 01:29 PM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Siameseifuplz~
HOWEVER...I think bears carry trichinosis
They do...frequently...thorough cooking is really the only way to be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 08:56 AM
Senior Cat

Yup, I wouldn't feed bear/raccoon/skunk/fox/wolf/wild cats.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Hmmm... is it still unsafe even if you know what the bear has been eating? The sweet smell from the carcass indicated it's been eating greens and not meat and it was pretty young... He shot it on the farm of a friend of his waaaay out in the country...

*sigh* So much I still don't know about raw.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Jr. Cat

Because of the rate of occurrence of trichinosis in North American bears, I would not chance it personally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page