Beef's a huge hit! How often can I feed it? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Beef's a huge hit! How often can I feed it?

I gave Boo a piece of beef today and she just loved it! She loves chicken and turkey too, but she seemed wolfed down the beef.

However she did throw it up an hour afterward. I usually warm it up in some warm water but didn't this time... maybe it was cold? Maybe she ate it too fast? It does beg the question - how often can I feed it? Is it harder to digest than chicken (she hasn't thrown up that)?

Thanks

Tiffany
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Banned

Re: Beef's a huge hit! How often can I feed it?

Sounds like she just ate it too fast. You can feed it whenever you want to. 80-85% meat; 5-10% bone; 10% organ (half of which must be liver), fed over time. Feed whatever combos of meat you want!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 03:52 AM
Cat

One of my cat is allergic to beef. It took us a few time of throwing up after eating beef to figure this out.
So I guess the only want to find out is try it a few more time, on different days, at different times.
For example, try giving a few small pieces at lunch, my cat throw up his breakfast after 15 mins.
And try giving a few small pieces of meat for breakfast, my cat throw up those few pieces after 10 mins.

From that, I am pretty sure my cat is allergic to beef.
Of course, if there are more reactions than throwing up, then make sure to go to the vet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Boo seems to have a lot of trouble keeping down beef, regardless of what cut I feed her. She throws everything to do with beef, including beef liver.

She only keeps beef meat down on occasion but has never kept down liver. Will it just take her awhile to get used to digesting this rich meat? I'm hoping she's not allergic..which she might be because it comes back up more often than not. She only seems to keep it down if fed in the morning. Is it okay to feed her just one meal a day?

The reason I keep feeding it to her is because I read it was especially rich in taurine (but she likes chicken hearts too, could that substitute?)...also because its her favourite and she goes crazy for it. Moreover beef liver is the only type of liver they sell at my grocery store so I'm kind of cornered (don't have a car and have to walk). However at this point she's kept none of it down, even if cooked, warmed in water, chopped in tiny tiny pieces... I'm thinking she might be allergic.

She has never thrown up chicken.

I am going to try lamb, pork and turkey within the next few days. I'm hoping she reacts better to that because so far with beef (beef meat and beef liver) she vomits almost every time.

I don't want to go back to dry and Boo HATES (and vomits) canned food.

Going to keep trying with different meats. I know chicken will always be an option though. She LOVES it (meat, heart, gizzards) and she keeps it down.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 11:26 AM
Senior Cat

Our first go at beef heart, 3/5 of the cats vomitted it up for the first 3 weeks. They were just SO EXCITED and wouldn't stop eating too fast.

I stopped giving it in small chunks, and only gave it in 4oz chunks they had to REALLY chew. It stopped the vomits.

My eldest cat couldn't handle beef liver, he'd eat it, then vomit it back up a few hours later. I stopped giving it to him for a while, replacing it with chicken liver and just recently started to offer it to him again.. no vomits.

We as humans think vomit = SICK ALLERGY OH NO! I really don't believe it's the same for cats and dogs, for the most part when rawfeeding. I'd keep trying, smaller pieces, larger pieces, and other meats.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page