My Babies love raw - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

My Babies love raw

I just brought home two new babies two weeks ago and the first day I was cutting up some pork for a stirfry and had a little kitty at my feet, so I cut off a tiny piece and fed it to her...she went nuts I gave her some more and she tried to eat my fingers, bit me and drew blood. So every day now they get a little bit of ground beef in the morning and kibble for the rest of the day.

Both my dogs are on raw food and I am so excited that the kittens like it. My boy Max (RIP) got sick and I tried to switch him and he wouldnt have any part of it...the only thing he would eat was liver. He wouldnt even eat wet food.

My Furbabies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 01:35 AM
Tom Cat

Re: My Babies love raw

Oh nice! But I know that ground beef has more bacteria, loses nutrients, and also doesn't help their teeth like a typical raw diet is suppose to.

From www.rawfed.com

"There is one proviso: do not grind the food. Grinding increases the surface area of the meat and thus exposes more of the "good stuff" to the air. This results in oxidation of taurine and a resultant decrease in overall taurine available to the cat. Additionally, grinding creates the perfect environment for bacteria growth, and bacteria also utilize the taurine in the meat, thereby further decreasing the total amount of taurine available to your cat. Thus, if you feed your cat a ground raw diet, it may not receive all the taurine it needs to thrive, as is the case with a group of kittens fed whole, ground raw rabbit in this study. If you regularly feed ground raw to your cat (which I do not recommend unless your cat absolutely will not or cannot eat bones), then it is advisable that you supplement with taurine using either fresh beef heart (unground) or a commercial taurine supplement."

You can try giving them beef without grinding it, beef heart, chicken, and any other meats just as long as you don't grind them and/or especially buy them ground.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Re: My Babies love raw

The ground beef isnt there main meal its just to keep them interested so they dont turn into kibble addicts.

I make my own dog food for my dogs and its ground (with unground liver, kidney and heart). For our family this is the easiest and cleanest. They do get bones for their teeth and pizzle sticks. I was afraid of the bacteria factor with ground and I was adding GSE but I was informed on my other forum that dogs can handle the bacteria and we have not had any problems...plus before I was making my own I was buying a ground mix and they did fine on that.

For the kittens I am still reading up on diet but I will probably give them more cut up meat rather than ground. I havent given them bone yet that isnt ground because they seem so tiny...but I have looked into feeder mice at the store as treats...we are also hoping they will take to mousing in our garage

My Furbabies

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page