Yippee!!! Got my freezer! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief
Yippee!!! Got my freezer!

Since you folks are the only ones who will understand how exciting an acquisition this is, I just had to share ...

I FINALLY GOT A CHEST FREEZER!!!! I've been trying to find an inexpensive chest freezer ever since I started raw feeding about a year and a half ago. I've been having to rent freezer space from a neighbor and/or turning down meat if I didn't have room for it and/or keeping meat in an empty horse stall in my barn over winter ... but as of yesterday, I have my very own, large chest freezer in my very own basement, packed full of meat!!!

The backstory ...

Whenever I start to run low on meat, I run an ad in the local papers looking for old meat folks are cleaning out of their freezers (never fail to fill my freezers that way). This time around, I got a call from folks wanting to empty out two large chest freezers, and I could have all the meat for free. Of course I sped right over there and found that they were readying the place for an estate auction, and the two freezers were to be auctioned off. I emptied out all of the meat and then asked if I could possibly buy one or both freezers before the auction. Unfortunately, they couldn't take them out of the auction at that point, BUT I did manage to win one of them at the auction for darn cheap! So now I have the freezer and all of the meat that was in it!

It's been a great couple of days for the carnivores here at Shadowood! And it's not over yet! I just got a call from another gal wanting to empty all of the old meat out of her freezer. Sounds like another big haul coming my way. YIPPEE!!!

Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 11:28 AM
Banned

Re: Yippee!!! Got my freezer!

YAY! You will LOVE IT. I can take up to 300 pounds of meat at a time (3 dogs, 3 cats, so I need a lot), and then I don't have to worry for months! If I get a 200 pound haul, I can take it all and not waste it. It's a good feeling to know you have plenty!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

LOL! I'm feeding 16 cats and 3 dogs raw, so I know all about needing a LARGE amount of frozen meat onhand. I already had a small freezer on top of my fridge and a full size upright freezer, but that wasn't nearly enough space to store as much meat as I need. So I was keeping the overflow in my neighbor's chest freezer, and sometimes I was even packing that full and needing MORE room! If I could have purchased both of those chest freezers at the auction the other day, I would have, but I got outbid on one of them.

Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 01:37 AM
Banned

I wish I could do this. Pico is SUPER picky about her raw meat. It has to be fresh. For some reason she can detect when it comes close to the expiry date and will refuse to eat it. =/

Harley will eat anything.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 09:45 AM
Banned

Why can't you? If it's a space issue, look into compact upright freezers. They're the size of the larger dorm fridges and take up only about a 2x2 foot footprint, so they work great in small spaces and still hold a ton of meat!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I think what igloe "can't do" is use old meat to feed her cats because one of them will only eat very fresh meat. I don't think she was referring to not being able to use a chest freezer.

Laurie
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Banned

Ohhh. Too bad. Glad mine are pigs!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

There's no conceivable way I could afford to feed raw to my large 4-legged crew if it weren't for the generosity of folks who clean out their freezers for me. Luckily, my animals don't generally care how old or freezer-burnt the meat is, though some of them do have definite preferences in meat types. For instance, one of my dogs will eat any kind of pork muscle meat, but she won't touch pork liver. Any other kind of liver is fine and dandy, but she finds pork liver completely repugnant. All of the other animals will eat pork liver very happily, but not Tasha. Go figure.

Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page