She got a taste of dry again... :( Regression. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

She got a taste of dry again... :( Regression.

So we had to bring Boo back home to my parent's house (where I lived a couple months ago) because I was coming to stay the week and had noone to look after her. We decided to lock her downstairs where my room is because she does not get on well with the other cat and I didn't want her getting to the dry food because I was afraid of what would happen. Also she has a problem with territorial defecation so we don't want that to start up again. The thing is, she ran right to the food cupboard as soon as she escaped from downstairs and she pulled it open and started gorging on dry food (what my parents feed their cat).

Unfortunately with this one binge a lot of progress has been undone. Boo would eat everything raw except for liver, which I have to mix a lot of gravy in with to get her to eat. Now she won't even touch chicken, her favourite, which I gave her for breakfast this morning. She usually gobbles it all within a half hour, she just loved it before!

Its like she expects she'll get dry now. I even mixed some gravy in the chicken and no luck so far. I don't want to have to resort to giving her dry but I know I might have to if she doesn't eat anything soon, as besides the dry food fiasco she's had nothing to eat for a day. I just know if I give her dry she's going to expect nothing less and she'll refuse to eat her raw, like she's doing now already.

She was eating chicken fine downstairs before she got upstairs and got to the dry food.

Also, she keeps trying to run upstairs to get to the cupboard where the food is. Its like she's a crazy addict or something, I don't get it! I thought she was over dry food but boy was I wrong.

Has anyone else had problems with regression? Any advice? Even the old tricks I used to entice her to eat when we started this diet aren't working. All she wants is dry.

Thanks,

Tiffany
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 06:44 PM
Banned

Re: She got a taste of dry again... :( Regression.

If you scroll down the forum a bit, you'll see my thread on regression.

You'll just have to remove the dry completely and start again. Chances are you won't have to start right from the beginning, probably where you left off. If your kitty refuses the food, take it away and offer it to her a few hours later. If she still refuses, take it away for the rest of the day. In the morning, offer it to her again. If she doesn't eat it, you can give it do her with a bribe (maybe wet if she'll eat that).

My advice, after feeding her dry for a little while, you simply have to put your foot down and get it out.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 07:30 PM
Cool Cat

will she eat canned food?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Yes, she's eat the gravy at least - but she tends to throw up canned for some reason. No worries though, I just started over from the beginning. Just gave her chicken for dinner (no gravy this time) and she ate it up. So I think she's adjusting to the new place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page