Taurine and Quail - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Taurine and Quail

I finally found a bone source that Rajah will eat - quail. However I have no idea how much taurine is in quail and/or if I need to supplement with extra taurine. If it makes any differance he is fifteen years old.

Also, what is the bone percentage of quail?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 09:43 AM
Banned

Re: Taurine and Quail

Any dressed bird is probably 30% bone overall. That's fine if you feed 1/2 quail in a.m. and meatymeat in p.m., for instance. I feed quail every 3-4 days, with mice in between, and p.m. meals are ALWAYS just meatymeat.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 02:12 PM
Cat Addict

Two thumbs up for quail! Gracie's favorite meal, and the bones are just right for crunching and munching!

We buy them frozen four-to-a-box from a Mexican grocery. I have no idea if there is a traditional Mexican dish that uses quail, but I keep buying them and they keep stocking the freezer...

Fran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 02:35 PM
Banned

That's where I get mine, too!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Jr. Cat

I just added quail to my Boo's diet tonight - it was a HUGE hit. She gobbled it up like there was no tomorrow - bones, organs and all. This is impressive as it was her first bone-in meal and it went down perfectly. She loves quail! It was so adorable hearing her crunch away at the bones.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Quail are expensive around here. I can only get them at a small Asian grocery store...6 quail for $11. That's a bit over a months worth though of bone in meals for him so it really doesn't add up that much

I'd rather spend that money on quail than on getting him junky canned food (the only other stuff he will eat). Besides I can gross out my sisters just by cutting the quail into halves, that's always a plus

Hmm, I should really take pictures of his teeth now and then again in a few months. I never thought about that with any of the others and I'd just like some before and after pictures.

He really seems happier now that he is getting all raw. Strange but true
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 06:57 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryfriends251
Quail are expensive around here. I can only get them at a small Asian grocery store...6 quail for $11. That's a bit over a months worth though of bone in meals for him so it really doesn't add up that much
WOW! I buy it in Asian grocery store too, 6 quails for $7.99. They are on sale this week, so $5.99. I bought 8 packs!

One of my cat, Cheetah, will only eat quail now. Nothing else. He will starve himself until he gets quail. I know there is too much bone in quail, but I cant get him to eat other stuff, even if I mix it with other meat, he will pick up the quail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by koobe
Quote:
Originally Posted by furryfriends251
WOW! I buy it in Asian grocery store too, 6 quails for $7.99. They are on sale this week, so $5.99. I bought 8 packs!

One of my cat, Cheetah, will only eat quail now. Nothing else. He will starve himself until he gets quail. I know there is too much bone in quail, but I cant get him to eat other stuff, even if I mix it with other meat, he will pick up the quail.
Hey, I live in Canada and I get it 6 frozen quail at an Asian Grocery for the exact same price!

My cat goes absolutely crazy for quail. She's actually borderline dependent on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page