This should be fun - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief
This should be fun

I have a local butcher who butchers for the area farmers. He's a bit of a grouch, but he's been VERY generous with me, saving organs and other butchering discards for me to come pick up for free every few months.

This last winter, I picked up half a dozen or so large bags of frozen leftovers from him and stuck them directly in my neighbor's chest freezer when I got home. I've been thawing out a bag at a time as I needed more organ meats, but now that I finally have my own chest freezer and have moved all of the bags home, I decided to thaw the last three bags in my bathtub. It took about a day and a half for them to thaw in cold water in the tub, but they were finally ready to be divvied up into individual freezer bags today.

In the past, the butcher has filled my bags with beef livers, kidneys, spleens, occasionally lungs, and rarely a testicle or two. And that's what I found in the first few bags I thawed over winter. So of course that's what I was expecting in these last three bags, as well.

Surprise, surprise! Is that? Yes, I think that is ... a heart! But this one's no heart. What the heck is it? Ah, I see now, this one's a tongue (no mistaking that rough surface). And what's this? Oooooh, no mistaking this shape, either. It's a penis.

Yep, I've got bags full of beef hearts, tongues, and penises ... and something else I haven't yet managed to identify. I'll be saving the hearts for the cats and penises for the dogs, but everyone will get to try the tongues and the "mystery meat". I can't wait to see how everyone responds to these new delicacies.

I just never know what I'm going to find in my surprise bags from my butcher. I LOVE that guy!

Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 07:35 PM
Banned

Re: This should be fun

Do you get them for free? If not how much?

How did you approach your butcher in the beginning? I tried once but the butcher lady just laughed at me. O_o
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I live in farm country. This butcher goes around butchering livestock for area farmers. Then he processes the animal and cuts and packages the meat for the farmer. When he's done processing an animal, he discards anything the farmer doesn't want to keep (which is the carcass and most of the organs). Rather than throw it all out into a huge gut pile somewhere, he gives me whatever leftovers I want for free. It's incredibly generous from my perspective, but as far as he's concerned, I'm just providing another option for getting rid of his butchering refuse. Works great for both of us.

When I started trying to figure out how to feed raw as cheaply as possible, I called all area butchers, meat processors, farmers who do their own butchering, hunters, and even taxidermists that I could find. I told them all that I was feeding my dogs and cats a homemade diet (which tends to sound less repugnant to some folks that saying I'm feeding raw) and let them know I would be very grateful for any butchering or processing leftovers or gut piles that I could have or buy inexpensively from them. Some of them offered their leftovers once or twice and then seemed to forget about me. I call them when I run low and check in to see if they have anything available. Others, like my favorite butcher, calls me when he has leftovers for me to come pick up. I've been very fortunate that way.

You'll generally get more positive responses if you offer to pay for the butchering or processing leftovers, though I've found that even when I offer to pay, these folks usually give me their leftovers for free, anyway.

Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 09:34 PM
Cool Cat

Not hungry now.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

=(^.^)= Elsie
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 11:51 PM
Senior Cat

Lucky!!!

Can mine come over for a meal sometime
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Why sure. I'm only feeding 20 at the moment. What's a few more guests at the dinner table! ;-)

Seriously, though, I'm so overloaded with beef liver right now that I wish I knew a few local folks who feed raw so I could share the wealth.

Laurie
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurief
Why sure. I'm only feeding 20 at the moment. What's a few more guests at the dinner table!

Seriously, though, I'm so overloaded with beef liver right now that I wish I knew a few local folks who feed raw so I could share the wealth.

Laurie
Hey, its only 19 more cats. Not a huge deal right?

Just curious, how many pounds of beef liver do you have?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I haven't a clue. Somewhere between 50-100, I would guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page